Drop calls on Nexus 5 ATT!

Ejhag75

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been dealing with dropped calls since putting the Lollipop developer preview on my phone. I have tried setting the preferred network to 3G and it's still doing it. Calls are done on HSPA anyway. It's been really frustrating. Love the device, but I can't take the dropped calls.

Ratmak

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I called Google and ATT to get some troubleshoot. Ended up getting a new sim card and at the same time they put my IMEI in their system. So far with LTE I'm not having any problem receiving or making calls. It may somewhat have something to do with them upgrading their VOLTE

Posted via the Android Central App

So this is still working for you a couple days later? I might give AT&T a call tonight then. It's obnoxious to have to change my network preference every time I want to make a call :p

Aj Irawan

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Same thing still, I changed the sim card and still getting drop calls a lot. I put the sim card into my old Galaxy s3 phone from ATT and worked perfectly fine. Only on 3G where my Nexus works fine

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Central Massachusetts and am running the latest Lollipop DP, no issues dropping calls as yet. Parts of Worcester have drastically overloaded data combined with a weak signal causing very poor data speeds, but no issue with calls dropping.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I am over the border in NJ now and zero dropped calls.

I emailed a buddy who works for at&t Mobility in Government Affairs (read a lawyer) and asked if he could ask around for me.

I will report back with any info he may provide.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
the problem seems to have disappeared for now. knock on wood. it's definitely an intermittent thing and not permanent. my guess it's tied to AT&T's network testing and the fact that the Nexus 5 is not an official AT&T branded phone. hopefully they figured it all out and fixed it for good now.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I heard back from my friend, he said that after talking with some people on the Engineering side, it is most likely an issue with "Grey IMEIs" (aka unbranded handsets) and most likely with Grey LTE IMEIs.

The issue is that unbranded handsets are low on the totem pole with regards to ensuring 100% uptime as at&t's official stance is that they do not support unbranded handsets. However, they did say that the at least in the Metro NYC they did have some of their gear in testing and it could in theory cause problems like what we have all been complaining about here.

Dan

Aj Irawan

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Meaning that we just have to wait and see till they come up with the solution? Would Android L help maybe? I wonder what's gonna happen to those people under ATT who purchased Nexus 6 lol

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Good fix. You can also throw the phone in the trash and get a StarTac from 1999. That will also solve your problems.

Yeah but you still got WiFi for data. That's all I want, just want the 2g for voice because its more reliable and WiFi for internet.

AJ Schmidt

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Same issue. near the Cherry Hill, NJ area. I have Madhi ROM loaded up on my phone, but my mom and aunt both have stock and we all experience the same issues. I'm hoping the Lollipop update fixes the issue. i may try to flash the 5.0 radio on my 4.4.4 rom (not sure if it's compatible...we'll see).

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Meaning that we just have to wait and see till they come up with the solution? Would Android L help maybe? I wonder what's gonna happen to those people under ATT who purchased Nexus 6 lol

I did specifically ask if Android L would help and got back, unknown as it is might be 100% their network gear and nothing to do with any one specific handset. Again, it is also low on at&t's priority list and they as a matter of policy do not support non-carrier sold devices.

Dan

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus 5 (on ATT) stopped receiving ad sending calls today unless I'm using wi-fi. The folks at the ATT store say it's the phone

Unfortunately, I find that front line customer service especially when it comes to items they (the front line person) are not familiar with, tend to blame the item as they truly have no idea.

Dan