Nexus 5 Battery calibration

michty_me

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Evening All,

I recently had an issue with my Nexus 5 where it wouldn't charge correctly and only charge something like 30%-60% in 8 hours or 0-70% in 16hrs. I replaced the battery and it is charging as it should now.
I noticed the other day though that once fully charged it went from 100% to 89% in about 20 mins then operated as normal so I assume it needs to re-calibrate the battery. When I swapped the battery one was reading 50% and the new was on roughly 30% so it may have thrown it out a bit. Is it just a case of discharge fully then fully charge or do I have to charge this when off?

I've read a few threads and also found this:

1. Once your phone dies plug it into your HTC charger, (DO NOT TURN IT ON)
2. Let it charger fully (about 3 hours) until you see the light turn green, unplug the phone
3. Turn on the phone on but do not mess with it. (no checking email, messages, etc) let it sit for about 20 to 30 min
4. then plug it in again but let it continue to sleep (about 30 min)
5. once the light is green, unplug and your finished.

It was under the HTC one s forum. Does that apply to the Nexus 5 also? The phone is not rooted.

infy77

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi Michty

I'd recommend to visit batteryunviersity website and click the link to "How to prolong Lithium battery" page.
Ever since i use this website tip, i never had trouble with nexus 5 battery life anymore.

Don't follow all the HTC tip, these are load of rubbish. For example, you shouldn't let your phone dies to 0% as its bad for lithium battery and also don't charge it to 100% all the time as this can also stresses lithium battery. "Turn on phone but do not mess with it" is the most BS battery tip ever, so no it's not for nexus 5 nor is it for any lithium battery.

In short, calibrate your nexus 5 only once per month (i do it every 3 months), charge it at 40% to 85% to get better battery life. You can charge it at any % at any time to any %. So basically, if you need to go out somewhere, just charge your phone (at any %) and when you need to go out, take it out. No need to wait until its at certain percent in order to charge it. All this info can be explained in batteryunviersity website and it gives you a clearer picture of how to prolong lithium based battery

michty_me

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Michty

I'd recommend to visit batteryunviersity website and click the link to "How to prolong Lithium battery" page.
Ever since i use this website tip, i never had trouble with nexus 5 battery life anymore.

Don't follow all the HTC tip, these are load of rubbish. For example, you shouldn't let your phone dies to 0% as its bad for lithium battery and also don't charge it to 100% all the time as this can also stresses lithium battery. "Turn on phone but do not mess with it" is the most BS battery tip ever, so no it's not for nexus 5 nor is it for any lithium battery.

In short, calibrate your nexus 5 only once per month (i do it every 3 months), charge it at 40% to 85% to get better battery life. You can charge it at any % at any time to any %. So basically, if you need to go out somewhere, just charge your phone (at any %) and when you need to go out, take it out. No need to wait until its at certain percent in order to charge it. All this info can be explained in batteryunviersity website and it gives you a clearer picture of how to prolong lithium based battery

Hi Infy, I've already been over to batteryuniversity and taken note of what they suggest. I think the battery on my phone is improving now after a full drain and charge. Yesterday it dropped 2% in 5 mins then stayed stable since. I'm guessing this will improve further but so far so good.
I made a few little changes to some settings on the phone and now it appears to be even more solid. So much so that I still have 74% remaining after 20hours and 20 minutes.

infy77

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Thats perfectly normal. It's the same case for most 2014 flagships except Z2/Z3 and other 3000 mah battery.
I lost 1% every 3 minutes (approx), therefore 20% is lost per hour, which make up as 5 hours Screen On Time with Wifi. (Depends on your usage)
With 4g, you get around 3 hours SOT and 3g get you around 4 hours SOT. Which is the same case for HTC one M8, Galaxy S5 and LG G3, you can head over xda website and look at the "post your battery stat" thread on the respective device, each of them have very similar battery stats compared to Nexus 5.
If you are still not happy with the SOT stats as explained above, you can just pop in charger for 15-30 mins and it get you around an extra 1 or 2 hours SOT. I'd rather just get used to it than bothering about battery tips, just wait 2 more years until we see a big change in the battery technology (eg faster charging, longer lasting battery life).

michty_me

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm perfectly happy with the battery life of the Nexus 5. It does me well. I had an issue with my battery last week where it would take 16hrs to charge to 60%. I changed the battery and all is good again. I was just trying to figure out why it dropped a large percentage sitting idle but I think it is getting better with time.