Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
When you buy a used N5, one that was bought in the Play Store, do you have to register the new owner with Google? Thanks.:p

I don't think google knows or cares who owns the phone once it is bought. There are people who buy the phone as a gift for other people, and it will still be under warranty. So no, you won't have to "register" it.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think google knows or cares who owns the phone once it is bought. There are people who buy the phone as a gift for other people, and it will still be under warranty. So no, you won't have to "register" it.

I wish someone would buy it, as a gift for me.:p

SCXR

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine used. Worked great at first but then it completely lost cell signal. Called Google this past Sunday and they switched it to my name. Received the replacement unit today - 2 days later. Very impressive service.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine used. Worked great at first but then it completely lost cell signal. Called Google this past Sunday and they switched it to my name. Received the replacement unit today - 2 days later. Very impressive service.

That is good news to me. Thanks.:p

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow - that's new! I know they denied the warranty for my friend because he was not the original purchaser. He had to get the original purchaser to make the call.

From https://support.google.com/googleplay/troubleshooter/3070579?hl=en&ref_topic=3237699

"Contact: If you purchased your Nexus 5 on Google Play, contact us with questions about refunds, exchanges, or repairs. Your satisfaction is important to us and we want to help.

If you didn’t purchase your Nexus 5 on Google Play, contact LG at 1-800-793-8896. You may be covered by LG’s limited manufacturer's warranty."

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

That's nice to know! I imagine there will be lots of used Nexus 5's on the market soon, mine included. :)

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Out of your 3 qualifications, my Nexus 5 only meets 1 of them! It's in good (actually great) condition, but it's white and 16GB.

Well, i believe that only the back is white, so that can be covered with a black tpu cover. The deal breaker is the 16gb. I need 32gb.:p

Alex Karim

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I ran into the same problem. Bought mine off of craigslists and encountered the weak cell signal problem. I called to get a swap and since I didn't buy it I needed the original owner to swap over the rights of the phone to me. The original owner was a complete *** and wouldnt cooperate. Long story short if you buy it off of someone in person make them call google on the spot and switch it for you

Posted via the Android Central App