Nexus 5 with Lollipop impressions

dcnblues

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm also not loving the new Location pull down. I like to leave the mode on battery savings, and only turn on High Accuracy (GPS) when I'm navigating in my car. But I have to go through the settings menu to change between those two states (the pull down location button toggles between GPS or completely off). Any suggestions? The two toggle apps I've tried don't do what I want.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm also not loving the new Location pull down. I like to leave the mode on battery savings, and only turn on High Accuracy (GPS) when I'm navigating in my car. But I have to go through the settings menu to change between those two states (the pull down location button toggles between GPS or completely off).

I don't fiddle with Location much, but yes, this is annoying. Especially since if you have it set to Battery Saving mode, and then turn Location off and then On via quick menu, it turns back on to High Accuracy and not what you previously had it set as. wtf?

Maybe this has something to do with my battery issues. How much of a difference is there, battery-wise, over a 6 hour span of time between using Battery Saving mode and High Accuracy mode?

LandsAlot4

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Disappointment with the battery life is the only thing I care about. Rest of the changes are fine. I got KitKat to a point where I could get 4 hours on screen and battery to last all day or until I go to bed. In the week I have had lollipop I can't get 2.5 hours and barely lasts 3/4 of a day before I need to recharge. Over night last night it dropped 25% with no screen time and 8 awakes for some reason. So now I gotta figure out that problem. Disappointment is my impression so far.

Posted via Android Central App on Nexus 5

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't fiddle with Location much, but yes, this is annoying. Especially since if you have it set to Battery Saving mode, and then turn Location off and then On via quick menu, it turns back on to High Accuracy and not what you previously had it set as. wtf?

Maybe this has something to do with my battery issues. How much of a difference is there, battery-wise, over a 6 hour span of time between using Battery Saving mode and High Accuracy mode?

My understanding is that you can always leave location settings on even on high accuracy and not worry about battery drain because it only kicks in when you use an app that uses the gps.

No?

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that you can always leave location settings on even on high accuracy and not worry about battery drain because it only kicks in when you use an app that uses the gps.

No?

That's my understanding, as well.

Posted via my Nexus 5 via the Android Central App

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Its running great over, some minor issues like im using the new messanger app and when i click on the specific chat, it wont open it just stays on my main messanger page, i have to back out and go back again, just annoying. Overall, im very happy with 5.0 and id never go back to kitkat.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm also not loving the new Location pull down. I like to leave the mode on battery savings, and only turn on High Accuracy (GPS) when I'm navigating in my car. But I have to go through the settings menu to change between those two states (the pull down location button toggles between GPS or completely off). Any suggestions? The two toggle apps I've tried don't do what I want.

Android Stock "Power Control" Widget?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

No?

true but the rub is that Android OS is pinging your location all the time. think about location ads, searches, weather, etc. and behind the scenes.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Power toggles gets you a little closer to that, but it's still not a simple location mode toggle. Rather than turn GPS on/off, it brings up your location settings screen.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
true but the rub is that Android OS is pinging your location all the time. think about location ads, searches, weather, etc. and behind the scenes.

Aren't all those things up to you to decide and set how many times it should refresh/update? So, for example, if it's true the weather engages the GPS feature when it refreshes, it'll only do so based on what intervals you've set for the weather app to refresh, no?

I have my weather app set to refresh every 4 hours. So it only engages the GPS for that purpose once every 4 hours.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Aren't all those things up to you to decide and set how many times it should refresh/update? So, for example, if it's true the weather engages the GPS feature when it refreshes, it'll only do so based on what intervals you've set for the weather app to refresh, no?

I have my weather app set to refresh every 4 hours. So it only engages the GPS for that purpose once every 4 hours.

i'm not talking about Apps and Widgets - i'm talking about the OS constantly syncing and synergizing your location behind the scenes - calculating where you are and what you "need" and "want" and reporting your location and recording your history. especially if you use Google Now. weather may have been a bad example but it could come into play with Google Now or web searches.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i unplugged my Nexus 5 from charger at 100% at 3:30pm Fri and went out all night with moderate usage (a few short phone calls, a few camera shots, a few texts/MMS, a few web searches - let's say bout 12 of each). happy hour, dinner, club. - i then finally crashed at 3:30am with no charger available - battery still had a tiny bit of juice left - LONG NIGHT! woke up at 9:30am and battery was dead. borrowed a charger from hotel staff and the damn thing never got above 0% despite charging for 20 minutes. i could use phone fine when it was plugged in but it would shut down immediately upon taking charger off. what's weird is the battery icon showed the lightning bolt so i assumed charger was working - but it never got above 0% despite being on charger for 20 minutes or so. on AT&T in major metro city so rural coverage should be no issue. came home and it charged up right away and seems to be charging fine now with stock charger. this was my first "all nighter" with no charger and after going through that whole morning with no working phone i've decided i'm getting the Nexus 6. i need more battery.

1. am i being unreasonable on Nexus 5 Lollipop Battery Life? i think i should've gotten more.
2. how is everyone's battery life vs. KitKat? perhaps it was no better.
3. is anyone experiencing any weird charging issues with Lollipop? maybe i just had a bad charger? it did say 1AMP and it did show the bolt.
4. who's getting Nexus 6 because of any such issues?

anon(23306)

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Overall quite unhappy with the update. I can live with things changing around -- i've gotten use to the lockscreen swiping.

What I can't stand are:

1.Battery is atrocious. Spent the day at Disneyland on Saturday and only used the phone once to check a text message. Got there at 10 a.m. with full chage -- Phone was dead by 5 p.m. This is with zero usage.

2. LAG LAG LAG - this phone used to be so fast -- nothing but lagging now. It takes a good second or two to switch apps when a notification comes up. Takes a moment to go home when I hit the home button. Everything is slow. I tried clearing the cache in the recovery screen -- didn't help. Slow! I'm thinking about doing a factory reset as I haven't seen to many others complaining about this -- so it may just be my issue.

3. Banner notifications. These suck! I used to love that I could read my notifications in the small notification bar up top -- totally unobtrusive. Now, large white banners pop up, taking the top inch of the screen and obscuring whatever was behind them. It even happens in the middle of a game. Oh you're playing plants v. zombies 2? Here's a large banner to mess up your game. At least give us the option to turn off these annoying iOS like notifications and go back to the old ones.

So far, unimpressed. Sure, I can live with it, but it seems much less streamlined than before. The lag is what kills me the most though. I thought ART was supposed to make things faster!?

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
So yeah this lollipop is getting a little annoying. Issues that I never had before are propping up. Things are definitely slower. It wants to do an animation for everything it seems, especially in chrome, and sometines it does stutter or lag a bit. Which is annoying. Also in chrome, sometimes I'll be browsing a page and then it'll just exit out on its own, but not before going to a dark screen and then taking me back to the homepage. I'll then try to open chrome again and sure enough it goes black screen and back to homepage. I'll try one more time and it will start up at the chrome homescreen and not the page I was browsing. This never once happened in kit Kat. Also whenever I press the navigation bar to type in an address, the keyboard will take a while before it pops up. Wtf. I'm gonna be forced to do a factory reset I suppose, which isn't really a fun thing to have to do.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
2. how is everyone's battery life vs. KitKat? perhaps it was no better.

There are plenty of threads on this. My experience? The battery life is worse. And the battery monitor changes are very hostile and inaccurate too.

3. is anyone experiencing any weird charging issues with Lollipop? maybe i just had a bad charger? it did say 1AMP and it did show the bolt.

I only use QI and notice no difference

4. who's getting Nexus 6 because of any such issues?

I don't want a tablet as a phone, so the Nexus 6 is not even an option.

Joedm45

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone had a black screen of death since upgrading to Lollipop?

By this I mean whilst finishing with an app, pressing the navigation keys does nothing then eventually the screen goes black except the navigation keys and the top info bar. Pressing recent apps button shows a very quick flicker of the recent apps but not enough to do anything.

At first I thought it was an incompatible app but it has now happened while using Dolphin, Outlook & Facebook. It is not all the time, maybe twice a day. Luckily pressing the power button and rebooting fixes this, it is just a real pain. I'm hoping it's a bug and my N5 is not on its way out

dcnblues

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
i'm not talking about Apps and Widgets - i'm talking about the OS constantly syncing and synergizing your location behind the scenes - calculating where you are and what you "need" and "want" and reporting your location and recording your history. especially if you use Google Now. weather may have been a bad example but it could come into play with Google Now or web searches.

This is my experience. Which is why I leave Location Mode on Battery Saving. I do use and like Google Now, but don't need precise locations unless I'm driving and need navigation (Waze). I also keep the screen only as bright as needed, and have zero battery problems (comfortably lasts all day), and the OS seems even smoother and faster. I just hate the white screens and Google taking away the dark theme option, but Nova Launcher has largely fixed my issues there (nice, good looking, dark, transparent versus the horrible ugly flat white of stock theme).

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps unrelated to Lollipop...

Last night I went into Chrome and all my open tabs had disappeared (20+ of them). I hadn't restarted the phone, close the app, or something like that. Same thing happened a few times with Kit Kat (at least once was after a Chrome update).

I eventually restarted the phone just to see if it would bring them back somehow. After a restart some (non-Chrome) updates started auto-downloading. Somehow my Play Store setting got changed to "Auto-update apps at any time". Previously I've always had it to set to "Do not auto-update apps". So I'm not sure how that setting got altered!

Edit to add:

A little earlier I tried sending a txt message via Hangouts and it was taking longer than normal to even appear in the main window after I hit the send arrow. I then noticed that I was logged into my google hangouts! I purposely only use Hangouts for sms and always stay signed out of my google account on that app. I have no idea how I got signed in.

Then, a little later, I noticed that the dates on a bunch of conversations were messed up in the overview screen in Hangouts. I saw this a few times with a few threads in kit kat, but never a bunch at a time like this. For example, for someone who sent a txt at 12:28pm today on the overview screen listing all threads it says "Aug 20" on the right side. There are at least 9 threads with screwy dates. If I go into the thread though all is well (right times listed and if I view details the right dates are listed). I guess something in the database got messed up. I don't know if I can blame Lollipop or not.

Last edited: