I got Lollipop and here's how to do it

Andrew Wendt

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I've been having the exact same issues you did, and cannot get over the footer/signature hump. 6 times from 6 different links to the image file, and making sure it's a zip, etc, all fails. Every time. I'm on a Mac (my only computer), so you can understand my frustration when I hear "Mac's make it so easy!" I just want to have someone come over and do it in 5 minutes then! I get all the way to 100% and then it fails. Honestly no idea what to do now besides wait it out for the OTA

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I've been having the exact same issues you did, and cannot get over the footer/signature hump. 6 times from 6 different links to the image file, and making sure it's a zip, etc, all fails. Every time. I'm on a Mac (my only computer), so you can understand my frustration when I hear "Mac's make it so easy!" I just want to have someone come over and do it in 5 minutes then! I get all the way to 100% and then it fails. Honestly no idea what to do now besides wait it out for the OTA

Had same issue on the Mac, downloading the files had a mismatch md5 verification and I kept getting signature error. It may be worth downloading a different browser and trying to install, safari didn't help at all...IE11 worked without issues.

Posted via the Android Central App

Irpack

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

AW,

I found my error, hope this is what your issue has been as well. Prepare to face-palm yourself as I did if so hahah.... From Reddit:

"[–]Thatonegingerkid 2 points 3 days ago
When I renamed the file for the .zip it becomes (name).zip.zip
So in my case it was lollipop.zip.zip
The solution is just to rename it w/out the .zip(s) (lollipop) and then in the command prompt type "adb sideload lollipop.zip"
Sorry if that's poorly worded at all, I hope it helps!"

My paraphrase: When I was renaming the OTA download as "lollipop.zip" the file, by definition is recognized as a .zip file. Therefore when I tried to execute "adb sideload lollipop.zip" what the system was interpreting for the filename was "lollipop.zip.zip" hence the error. Rename your OTA download as "lollipop" or "update" or whatever you like WITHOUT ADDING ".ZIP" to the renamed filename. Then DO include ".zip" in the adb sideload command as previously tried, e.g "adb sideload lollipop.zip" as instructed.

Successfully running 5.0 now! Hope this simple fix works for you also.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I ran into the file cannot be open, as well. I tried renaming and downloading another version of the file. I'm not sure what exactly did end up working for me in the long run but I did unplug my phone while it was on "waiting for file to be transfered", plugging it back in and restarting the SDK toolkit and resending the adb sideload **** command. It then worked for me.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
To flash the OTA file, make sure you download the file without it automatically unzipping. You want it to remain as a.zip file, rather than rezipping it. Also, make sure your device is completely stock. Meaning, no root. If you have root then it will likely fail.

Move downloaded OTA file into the platform-tools folder of the sdk. Make sure USB debugging is enabled on the Nexus 5 and boot into the bootloader. Follow the instructions here to enter the stock recovery and enable the sideload option then flash the file: How to manually update your Nexus | Android Central

Let us know how it goes, or if you get stuck at a particular step in the flashing process or receive certain errors. I have flashed previous OTA and factory image files to my Nexus 5 with a Mac, and the process should be relatively easy once you have everything setup and the device is being recognized by adb/fastboot.

Birk Binnard

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
srkmagnus

Nicely done web page on how to flash a new version - but in the middle of the page it says the process will
"factory reset your device, so you will lose everything stored on it. "

This is precisely what my original post was intended to avoid - I wanted to show how to get Lillipop installed without losing all personal software and settings.

To help make this perfectly clear I'm going to add a small bit to the front of my original post explaining the difference between sideloading (which preserves user settings, apps, and data) and flashing (which resets the phone to original factory settings.)

OLOAPS

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I've successfully sideloaded Android 5.0 to my device Nexus 7 2013. everythings running smooth except that I noticed something. The top and menu bar are still black. I saw videos of people having lollipop on the same device and they have transparent bars. Also when they click their HOME button it shows a white background with all their apps while mine is still black. Im afraid that I did not install the OS fully and I might encounter errors in the future. Do you think I need to do the shole process again? Thanks

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I've successfully sideloaded Android 5.0 to my device Nexus 7 2013. everythings running smooth except that I noticed something. The top and menu bar are still black. I saw videos of people having lollipop on the same device and they have transparent bars. Also when they click their HOME button it shows a white background with all their apps while mine is still black. Im afraid that I did not install the OS fully and I might encounter errors in the future. Do you think I need to do the shole process again? Thanks

It's becuase you're using the stock launcher and the Nexus 5, 6, 9 all have the Google Now Launcher. You can download it from the Play Store.

OLOAPS

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks mate, I thought I did something wrong. Post a thread about it but you were the only one replied to this thread! Thanks!! :)

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks mate, I thought I did something wrong. Post a thread about it but you were the only one replied to this thread! Thanks!! :)

No problem. I can understand the confusion. I personally prefer the Google Now Launcher to the others. Plus, having it on all of my devices gives a little continuity to them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae