Camera error on Lollipop

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
So I flashed the final build of Lollipop on my Nexus 5, worked great for the first couple of days, now I'm getting a camera error, saying failed to connect to the camera. This only happens with the front-facing camera, and it works fine after a reboot but problem comes back after a day or two.

Back when I had an S3, the same thing would happen, but with the rear camera, I thought it was a hardware issue but now I'm thinking maybe not, since it's happening right after flashing a new OS this time (can't remember if the problem on my S3 was after an OTA, or maybe after rooting and going custom ROM)

Any ideas?

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
According to an article today over at Android Police, there's a bug in Lollipop where if you turn on the flashlight in quick settings and let it timeout (rather than the user turning it off), both the camera and flashlight will break until reboot.

I'm thinking this may be the case for me, since it's happened to me twice so far and I can definitely remember turning on the flashlight on 2 specific occasions after flashing Lollipop. Unfortunately, when I tried to replicate the bug, the flashlight refused to time out..

mchrisl

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Ever since I flashed 5.0 lollipop, I have been experiencing problems accessing my nexus 5 front camera.(can't access camera) And Yes I did not even use the flash light..!! Could there be a specific bug doing this? Secondly, I noticed that when I activated the smart lock using the face detection to unlock the phone, which seems to be creating this bug problem as it would access the front cam every now and then...I have simply turned off smart lock...so let's see. Any suggestions.??

AnAndroidDroid

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I actually haven't had this problem since I read about the flashlight timeout thing. I made sure to manually turn off the flashlight since then, and it's been fine, so I'm hoping that's all it was.

ggrb

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
According to an article today over at Android Police, there's a bug in Lollipop where if you turn on the flashlight in quick settings and let it timeout (rather than the user turning it off), both the camera and flashlight will break until reboot.

I'm thinking this may be the case for me, since it's happened to me twice so far and I can definitely remember turning on the flashlight on 2 specific occasions after flashing Lollipop. Unfortunately, when I tried to replicate the bug, the flashlight refused to time out..

Hello there!

After I upgraded to lollipop the front camera settings has been changed. Instead of the fullscreen front camera display; now it has become a thumbnail sized display. Without any options to turning back on the original setting. Im using LG G3. Any idea on how to fix this? Thanks.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^Try Settings, General, Apps, swipe to All, scroll to Camera, open, and select Force Stop, Clear Cache and Clear Data. Then Power Off and Restart the phone.

Also, Welcome to AC and the Nexus 5 forum. You're welcome to post here although we do have an LG G3 forum.😊

Posted via the Android Central App

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi All. Sorry to revive an old thread but I didn't want to create a new one since this one is identical to my problem. The only thing that is different is that a reboot isn't fixing it, and neither is the force stop, clear cache, etc. I've tried uninstalling the updates, trying it, and then reinstalling the updates and trying it. All get the same error. I have rebooted in safe mode and get the same error. The only thing I can think of now is to do a factory reset, and I would prefer not to have to go to that trouble.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, whatever my problem is, it still occurs after a factory reset. I got impatient and went ahead and reset the device. Fired up the camera app, switched to front facing, and the error occurred again. So now what? Crack the case open and look for a loose wire?

mrungas123

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
my cherry mobile flare s3 lite
my probs is my camera
shows this message
cant connect camera
please close other
applacation using
camera such as
(flashlight) please
close and try again