Could my phone still be rooted?

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 5 Lollipop Root/Unroot

I've got an odd issue with Nexus 5. I had previously rooted under KitKat, and then decided to update to Lollipop. I used the adb sideload to push the OTA update onto the phone. It appears that in the update I lost my root (not the real issue) and everything with Lollipop seems fine. Something in my device claims that it's still rooted (even though every root checker says I'm not). I utilize the Good for Enterprise app and it's telling me that I'm not in compliance and keeps wiping my account (after setting it up again with my IT group). IT claims I'm rooted since it's wiping, but like I said every root checker says that I'm not. What I find weird is apps like Solid Explorer and Helium "think" I'm rooted for a brief second, but don't let me do anything that having root would let me do. (helium reverts to non-root after saying there was an error executing Superuser and solid explorer asks me to install BusyBox).

IIRC just factory wiping the device wouldn't get rid of root, so honestly, I have no idea what to do. Do I root again and then try to unroot? Do I try something else? Basically I don't need/want root, but I obviously want my Good for Enterprise to work correctly. I'm open to any suggestions. I can always push the factory image onto the phone using ADB if that would work. I can backup most of my apps and such with Helium and start over without it being a huge deal but I'm concerned even that wouldn't work.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

VK7HSE

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
If you flash the lollipop factory image, it will certainly remove any traces of root. But remember to backup any data from the phone prior to doing so as the flash-all.sh/bat will wipe the phone.

Lollipop introduces SeLinux, so most root options won't work using the more traditional methods!

Posted via the Android Central App

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Lollipop Root/Unroot

If you flash the lollipop factory image, it will certainly remove any traces of root. But remember to backup any data from the phone prior to doing so as the flash-all.sh/bat will wipe the phone.

Lollipop introduces SeLinux, so most root options won't work using the more traditional methods!

Posted via the Android Central App

Thanks, I decided to go ahead and flash the factory image. Surprisingly easy with all the tutorials out there, honestly the biggest issue I ran into was just unzipping the tgz file the right way. For what it's worth, a couple of things to share. Lollipop will restore all of your apps and locations (even without Tap and Go) if it was backed up on a Lollipop device. As soon as I signed in there was the outline of all my apps and where they would go on my home screens, they all installed over the next half hour or so. REALLY glad to finally see this type of functionality.

Another side note, I had backed up a bunch of app data with Helium (great non-root app for backing up). I noticed that my Textra info that backed up included all of my messages (SMS and MMS). I really didn't expect that since it didn't work that way in KitKat.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12