Nexus 5 Battery with 5.0

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My brightness is cranked all the way up.. What can I say I like it like that.

4 hours of screen on time with 11% remaining.. I'm happy with that considering my brightness level.

What are you usually doing with it during those 4 hours of screen time?

After having my N5 for about a year I get around 2 hours.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
What are you usually doing with it during those 4 hours of screen time?

After having my N5 for about a year I get around 2 hours.

Texting, short phone calls, using this forums app, reading RSS feeds, casting video to a Chromecast (screen is off during this), lite email..

I don't game and I hardly ever use Chrome..

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Battery performance on my N5 has certainly gotten worse with 5.0 -- but I'm hoping Google will fix this pretty soon.

Before the move to Lollipop I was getting very good battery life -- I had turned everything off that I wasn't using -- which is a good idea in general. For example, I keep the location setting in Battery Saving mode (no GPS usage) unless I need an accurate reading for something like navigation. Also, I do a Force Stop on all applications that I don't use.

There's probably a thread that details battery-saving tips somewhere on AC.

andyhurley

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So, after stopping the gmail sync and nursing my phone (no casual games on my commute home) it stumbled through to 8pm (just).

Today, I have a similar issue, gmail is still consuming half as much again as the screen. It is standing at 6% with 4m 17s of radio active and 633 packets received, 787 sent. I have not actually read any email on the phone yet today.

Screen is at 4% after 46m of screen time (mostly gaming on the way to work).

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey is there any way where we can disable few default apps which I personally don't use at all such as News n Weather, Play Games, play movies, etc

Posted via N5 n Android Central App

Settings --> Apps --> All

Select the unwanted app and tap the disable button.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Settings --> Apps --> All

Select the unwanted app and tap the disable button.

I receive a warning when I try to disable an app stating that it may cause other apps to misbehave. Has anyone had experience with this? Will disabling an app actually cause problems as the warning suggests?

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^That's a standard warning. Either you stop at that point, or you go ahead. The choice is yours and there isn't much guidance. On those occasions when I've done it, nothing disastrous has happened....in fact nothing bad at all that I've ever been aware of. If trouble is encountered, you could always re-enable. I don't think that disabling an app is likely to cause your phone to actually explode in your face or, worse, stop working.

Posted via Android Central App

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
^^^That's a standard warning. Either you stop at that point, or you go ahead. The choice is yours and there isn't much guidance. On those occasions when I've done it, nothing disastrous has happened....in fact nothing bad at all that I've ever been aware of. If trouble is encountered, you could always re-enable. I don't think that disabling an app is likely to cause your phone to actually explode in your face or, worse, stop working.

Oh yes it can.....

Disabling "apps" can be dangerous and it very much can leave your phone unbootable (have seen threads about it). But this is usually reserved to when people start disabling things like Google Play Services, or the launcher, or OS components. So it is my understanding that you do need to be careful. Most normal "apps" can be disabled safely, though. And I do have a lot of Google stuff disabled, such as: Play Games, Hindi input, Korean input, Pinyin input, Play Books, Play Movies, Play Music, Play Newsstand, Google+, and iWnn IME

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^I stand corrected, but yes, I was thinking about the 'non-essential' apps....disabling the essential OS apps would I should think be asking for serious trouble.

Rutz1104

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys just by disabling the location there is huge change in battery consumption

Below r few screenshots b4 n after

Rutz1104

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Below r d screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-30-03-03-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-30-03-03-22.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_2014-12-04-18-01-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-04-18-01-08.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 26

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Posted via Android Central App
I only have Google Plus and Google Fit disabled. That's it. I use to have other apps like Google Currents disabled because they were no longer supported but then with Android 5.0 they disappeared anyway.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I only have Google Plus and Google Fit disabled. That's it. I use to have other apps like Google Currents disabled because they were no longer supported but then with Android 5.0 they disappeared anyway.

Do you still get Photos if you disable Google+? Or perhaps you don't use...

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Do you still get Photos if you disable Google+? Or perhaps you don't use...

You still have Photos app if you disable Google+, but you can't use it without it. Which automatically makes it junk (to me).... it is junk even if it could work without Google+. Quickpic to the rescue does everything that a gallery app is SUPPOSED to do, and does it right, and without forcing anything on you.

andyhurley

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
FYI, I uninstalled Gmail on Wednesday (reinstalled Aquamail instead) and since then my battery has been more normal. No massive drains from Gmail for no obvious reason.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^And yet, if you use GSam Battery Monitor, for example, as I do, it shows a markedly different breakdown of battery usage by various apps than the stock battery usage checker. At least, so I find.

Posted via the Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm still getting over 3.5 hours screen on time which is a bit less than with KitKat but not as bad as much of what I've read here. I can't explain it. I have about 150 apps installed, and not much free storage. But it's not too bad at all. The lag has cleared up some too.