Nexus 5 Battery with 5.0

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^Did you factory reset after the update? Battery is worse for me, and that's one thing I haven't tried.

Posted via the Android Central App

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
^^^And yet, if you use GSam Battery Monitor, for example, as I do, it shows a markedly different breakdown of battery usage by various apps than the stock battery usage checker. At least, so I find.

+1. I've been using that app for a week and it really helps. It also has a feature called "app sucker" that shows which apps are really draining battery. Way more helpful than the stock battery graph.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
^^^Did you factory reset after the update? Battery is worse for me, and that's one thing I haven't tried.

No, hoping to avoid it. I still haven't wiped the system cache partition either. I did get a blank screen right after updating Google search earlier but I rebooted and I'm OK again.

andyhurley

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I didn't really notice much difference after wiping the system cache, what made the difference for me was disabling gmail which seemed to be using insane amounts of power. Google play services are still high though so maybe there is a problem there. Just installed gsam to see if that gives me more useful data, thanks for the tip guys.

anon(322956)

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the GSAM tip, am installing now. I was using Battery Doctor but it just closes apps, I can do that with Clean Master. I disabled everything that makes my phone vibrate and uninstalled Google Now (I'll miss you!!!). I turn off location when I'm at home and turned Keep Wi-fi onl to only when plugged in. Also disabled Wifi scanning always available. I saw someone noted the Gmail app is a drain so I'll edit how often it checks for emails. Today my phone was sitting on my desk unused for 4 hours and it went from 80 to 18%. So I'm home GSAM can find the issue and help me out.

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
count me in as having excessive battery drain. i fully charged my phone last night before going to bed and kept it off charger on purpose to see how much would drain. my phone went off charger at around 11pm, and this morning at 630am it was down to 84%. i can barely get 9 hours of usage and i'm not a heavy user - text, gmail, kakaotalk, kakaostory, phone calls, light rss feed reading, 30 min of youtube during lunch break, etc. my daily usage pattern has not changed but the battery life has with lollipop...

my wife's N5 on the other hand is fine after the upgrade to lollipop. with her typical usage, she only uses about 60% battery by the time she gets home; i'm down to 10-15% by then...

i have cleared the system cache partition and i no i do not want to do a factory reset... i may run the gsam battery monitor suggested above to see if i have rogue app or if lollipop is wonky...

btroberts011

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
So far 5.0.1 seems to be doing much better. 4 hours off the charger with pretty heavy use and only lost around 15%

G1, myTouch(rooted), nexusS, Nexus5

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^If you're happy with what you've got, stick with it....but of course you'll never know whether performance might be better still with the update. :)
I've just Factory Resetted and wiped Cache Partition and cleared Cached Data in the hope of improving battery. We shall see what we shall see.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
^^^If you're happy with what you've got, stick with it....but of course you'll never know whether performance might be better still with the update. :)
I've just Factory Resetted and wiped Cache Partition and cleared Cached Data in the hope of improving battery. We shall see what we shall see.

I'm not rooted though, and the notification bugs me. I can't do a factory reset because I don't have all my data backed up yet. : /

I finally downloaded it and hopefully my phone will be fine. Seems OK right now.

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^Well the reset went okay for me....took about an hour including the time for everything to restore to the phone. Woke phone this morning at 96% battery, as in the old days when I first had it....before resetting, typically 89%. YMMV of course if you do reset, but nothing has actually exploded in my face so far at this end.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
^^^Well the reset went okay for me....took about an hour including the time for everything to restore to the phone. Woke phone this morning at 96% battery, as in the old days when I first had it....before resetting, typically 89%. YMMV of course if you do reset, but nothing has actually exploded in my face so far at this end.

I'd definitely do it if I just had all my data backed up. I've been slowly backing up to Dropbox the past week but there's tons left to go. : /

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Down to 75% battery already, only 1.25h screen-on time. All SMS messages lost....did not know they would be. Keyboard touch-vibrates despite being set not to. That's me finished I think. There's only so much time you can waste on these things.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Down to 75% battery already, only 1.25h screen-on time. All SMS messages lost....did not know they would be. Keyboard touch-vibrates despite being set not to. That's me finished I think. There's only so much time you can waste on these things.

Wow. Can you get a replacement?

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

You're getting almost 90 minutes of screen on time per 25% battery and you're upset? Dude I'd kill for that. I can't get my phone past 4 hours SOT per charge....

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
To above two posts: Technically, there's nothing wrong to get replaced. And yes, I'm aware that other users are getting much worse SOT and that mine isn't bad compared to some. But consider: in the first few months from new I was losing about 4% charge on standby overnight. For some reason that got worse and for some time, since before L, I've been losing 10 or more percent overnight. Why? Also, before Lollipop, I could get 3.5h SOT without much difficulty....now, it's about 2.5h. Again, why?
(Right at the moment, its at 61% with 1h 40m SOT. That's on 10% brightness, mainly forums texting use.)
You do everything you can to try to understand and fix things but there's a good chance you'll fail. At the moment in battery usage stats I've got 2% for Screen and 17% for Google Services, but with no way of knowing whether Google Services is behaving normally in having used that much charge. Etc. In other words I'm just tired of trying to get my phone to work as it's supposed to.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
in the first few months from new I was losing about 4% charge on standby overnight. For some reason that got worse and for some time, since before L, I've been losing 10 or more percent overnight. Why?

Is your phone around a year old like mine? If so, consider that the battery capacity will reduce over time, while the draw will not. So overnight, it will represent a larger portion of what is left of the battery. Charging more than once in a day (regular, extensive use) and/or allowing the charge to drop below 25% or so will both accelerate this normal deterioration.

This could account for part of any issue.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae