Why does the new Gmail app delete email from the server when deleted from app?

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
New Gmail app deletes email fromsserver when deleted from app

Lollipop - Nexus 5
The previous email app which is no longer supported by Lollipop allowed one to delete an email from the app without deleting it from the server (Comcast) if it was a POP account. This was handy because it removed clutter from my phone inbox but allowed me to read and reply to the same email on my desktop (POP email). Just now I read and then deleted an email (Comcast) from the GMail app and attempted to read and reply to that email on my desktop. Horrors. It's gone. It doesn't appear in my email client (Thunderbird) nor on the server.

I could not find any way to change that behavior in GMail under settings. The missing emails are in the trash folder on the phone but I couldn't figure out a way to transfer them back to the inbox or even less likely to get them back on the server. I will now, of course, be careful not to delete any email messages from GMail but I wonder if anyone has found a way to change the behavior of the app?

checkmate

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: New Gmail app deletes email fromsserver when deleted from app

Have you checked to make sure Gmail didn't set the account up as IMAP? This happened with my BTYahoo account a while back. I think you can check the port settings to see which type the email is using.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Thanks! I checked under server settings, incoming and there were choices to delete email from server: when I delete from inbox or never. You only see the choices after you get the keyboard out of the way. I got to that part of the incoming settings rather accidentally but it's fixed now. I chose and saved "never".

Last edited:

tnstisser

May 3, 2015
Visit site

I'm having the same problem on my Nexus 7, using the new gmail app with Lollipop 5.1. My primary email server is a POP3 server. I've changed the setting to "Never" on 'delete email from server' option within gmail app on tablet, but it STILL deletes messages from the server as soon as I delete them from gmail app on my tablet. Does anyone have a solution that works. I hate to have to change email clients to get this to work. I don't think my email server supports IMAP, and I don't really want my message synced on all devices. I prefer to be able to see my messages when I want on my tablet, but only keep the ones I want on my tablet, then deal with the others when I log in to my laptop where I do all my real work.

Thanks for any help.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Though this would require you to change clients, MailDroid supports the ability to choose per email or globally per account to delete from the device only or device and server. I believe this is what you are looking for.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

Some POP3 server software doesn't communicate properly with some email clients. Regardless of how you set deletions on the server it stays when you want it deleted or is deleted when you want it to stay. That's life with POP3.

Try another email client. AquaMail leaves all POP3 mail on the server by default.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.