Microphone issues after Lollipop OTA

Neil Begin

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I tried a Factory Reset from the Recovery menu and still no go. Only speakerphone and bluetooth headset work as microphones. Can't use any features that require voice, such as Google Search or "Ok Google". The Google Backup did work fairly well this time though. :~

Anyone know how to report this to Google?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it still not work in Safe Mode?

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Brian Hall

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Wow -- I have been having the same problem and had blamed it on hardware, but the "no microphone, speaker and bluetooth work" issue started for me after the OTA update as well.

Sounds like nobody has figured it out yet?

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I had this issue and just solved it with a complete wipe/factory reset. It's working fine now.

The mic was working fine in video and other recordings, I tested it. It was only outbound calls that were a problem, I could hear the other party fine but my voice was faint and garbled to them. Going into "Safe Mode" improved it, but only partially.

I called Google support and they walked me through the factory reset. It's triggered like this: (after making sure you have your data backed up) You go to shut the phone down by holding down the power button, then when the dialogue box comes up, you touch it and it gives you the option to wipe the device. The rest is automatic. The phone at one point stopped "deleting"and showed a Dead Android Icon on his back... (which was a little alarming) but it then resumed. Once I re-entered all my Google info, the calling sound is now working fine. I think you need a wifi connection to get the phone up again.

PITA, but there it is. There may be a simpler solution. Took a couple hours all told, and I still have some set-up to do. On the bright side, there was an option to choose which of my apps to re-install, and I de-selected some that I had not bothered to delete before upgrading to Lollipop. Upgrading prematurely, it would seem.

I mean, I get it, glitches happen. But seriously Google. The device is first off a PHONE. It has to be able to make CALLS.

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Okay, after doing factory reset, I thought it was fixed but no, I still have this problem, but now it's intermittent.

I called Google, and they issued an RMA. They'll send the same phone, but a refurb. They had me read the EMIA number back to them: I guess since I bought the phone less than a year ago, it's covered under warrenty.

They said there's a chance the charge might come out on my card temporarily, but ultimately it won't cost me a cent.

PITA, but at least I'll have a functioning phone.

They also reassured me that the phone will be thoroughly tested and updated with Lollipop. Hmn. We'll see. I do appreciate the respect of the warrenty by Google.

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I had a echo of my voice on calls after Lollipop upgrade. After a factory reset and down loading the Apps no issues since.

From what I read and don't know if it is true but the OTA Lollipop upgrade just stacks on top of the Kit Kat. I had never done any factory reset since I got my N5 since they came out. Have to admit it... seems to be a good idea to do a factory reset now after a major upgrade.

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I had my N5 replaced by Google, the refurb they sent had 4.4. I upgraded to 5.01 recently and now I have the same problem again! Intermittently, people can't hear me over the mic. (Speakerphone yes) Crap! A reboot fixes it temporarily.

Google says they'll send me another. Frig. I have to decide if I'll go for this as my warrenty expires this week. Any advice?
I don't know if 5.1, when it comes out, will solve this...

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Sent for yet another N5 from Google. Sigh. I suppose it might be some specific setting or app of mine that has caused this problem on two devices after upgrading. Google can't help me though, so they are just sending me another phone. Grateful they are so good about warrenty, but bugs like this are awful.

All this is making me think about Iphone. Or Windows phone. I actually have a WP Nokia 520 as a back-up. Tempted...

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Got my (second) replacement N5. KitKat pre-installed, works fine. It automatically downloaded the 5.01 update, ha! I won't be installing that.

I find myself wondering if my mic issue for outbound calls might be caused by some glitch related to a setting of mine, or an app I use. Who knows? I like Lollipop, but not enough to risk having my phone not function as a phone.

So it's Kitkat for now for me.

Garin Fouts

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
I just had this issue..if it is a S5 take the battery out for 30 sec. and place the battery back in turn on and it should work just fine....hope this helps

freddy w

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Worked for me: Got similar problem yesterday on Sony Z3 after update. Turns out nothing to do with android or hardware. Simply disable "OK Google from every screen" in Google Now > settings > voice. It takes over mic on call screen. :)

Last edited:

Deon Joubert

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Worked for me: Got similar problem yesterday on Sony Z3 after update. Turns out nothing to do with android or hardware. Simply disable "OK Google from every screen" in Google Now > settings > voice. It takes over mic on call screen. :)

Thanks Freddy

The Google app keeps on reactivating that option when updates occur. I've been able to fix this dead mic during a call symptom on my Z3 as well after seeing your post!

Thanks again.

Stephan Tertel

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Hello Freddy;
can you still confirm, that Google Now was the cause for the microphone issue. I had a two Z3 compact and had to give them back because it was happening all the time, really annoying.

JWMNH

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Both my son and I purchased S 5's just over a year ago. A short while ago after each of us had phone "updates" we both noticed people could not hear us speaking. They said we are fading in and out. You have to cup your hand over the microphone hole at the bottom of the phone in order for people to hear you, and even then it's not clear. This MUST have something to do with the update, whatever it was. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what the upgrade was. It just said upgrade ready to install so I figured updates must be good. Wrong I guess.
So, is shutting off OK google/google the fix, at least for now?