Nexus 5 Camera - how to increase resolution of photos?

swolf76

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hello. I purchased a Nexus 5 recently and for the most part I really enjoy the phone. One nagging issue is the camera. I like the camera software it is very quick and intuitive. However, I am at a loss trying to determine why the photos I take average less than 2 megapixels. I have played with the settings and have the resolution set to 8.0 megapixels. I have also tried toggling HDR+ mode and manual exposure, but with no change in results. Please, any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
How are you measuring the number of megapixels of resolution in the pictures? Are the pictures averaging less than 2 megapixels or less than 2 megabytes? You can take a 50 megapixel picture that creates a 1 megabyte file. The number of megabytes of file size isn't the number of megapixels of resolution. (The number of megapixels is determined by the camera's sensor - how many million separate measurement points it has. That has nothing to do with the size of a file the camera produces - especially considering that the files you're looking at are almost certainly compressed [which does reduce the available resolution, but that's how the digital camera industry does things].)