N5 Lollipop update (OTA) - Got stuck in bootloop and now stuck at hard reset??

cindogg

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

Like others, I tried the software update, and then my phone constantly got stuck at the four little circles at start up. I followed some instructions I found on AndroidPit (sorry I can't post a link):

1. From a powered off state, press the Power button to start your Nexus 5. When you see the Google logo press and hold the Volume Down key and release when the device vibrates.
2. Use the volume keys to highlight Recovery Menu and press the Power button to select. This will bring you to a screen with an Android on its back.
3. Hold the Volume Up key for 5 secs then release and a new menu will appear.
4. First off, you can use the volume keys to select Wipe Cache Partition. This will cause your phone to restart. once this is done, re-do the previous steps to get back to the same screen (the one that Wipe Cache Partition was on).
5. Highlight Wipe Data/Factory Reset and select using the Power key. Scroll down to Yes, Delete All Data and press the Power button again to select.
6. Your Nexus 5 will now wipe your data and reformat.
7. On the next screen hit the Power button to select Reboot System Now.

It has been 40 minutes now and it's stuck on 'Formatting /data'. Is this normal?

I've only had this phone for a couple of months and it was functioning perfectly until now :( I haven't rooted it or anything.

Does anyone have any advice/ideas/suggestions please?

Thankyou

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Leave it until tomorrow. If it still doesn't come back up, hold the power button until it restarts. (That simulates - not quite perfectly - pulling the battery out and replacing it.) If that still doesn't fix it, it depends on where the update came from. If it was from your carrier, bring it in to them. If it was from Google contact them directly. Android over-the-air updates sometimes fail - it's a known fact. And they will continue to fail until Google redesigns the update process, so a bad update reverts back to the original code. (It's 1989 technology, so they don't have to invent anything.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC