Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It's here and works great so far. It seems to have fixed some stuttering I had. Have not had it long enough to comment on anything else. The OTA file is also available for those who want to sideload it.

Factory Image: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

OTA Update: http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_hammerhead/785a2f7af3718dba7e569decde8b6c4dc476a309.signed-hammerhead-LRX22C-from-LRX21O.785a2f7a.zip
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm having trouble with the OTA file. the prompt keeps telling me it can't find my device. I've checked and rechecked my usb drivers. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
If you guys went ahead with flashing this update can you share what is the difference between this and previous version.
There are no differences in actual usage or the way Lollipop looks. It just fixed some bugs people were having.
I'm having trouble with the OTA file. the prompt keeps telling me it can't find my device. I've checked and rechecked my usb drivers. Any other suggestions? Thanks
I had the same problem. I wound up wiping the device and flashing the factory image.

But anyway, now my notifications work correctly, and things are butter smooth. But for the next update though, I'm waiting for the OTA. It was a lot of work to flash the factory image and get everything back the way I like it.

Birk Binnard

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I just performed a SideLoad of 5.01 and the whole process was smooth as silk. My phone is now running 6.01 with no problems - not that I had any before.

I've yet to see any list of changes included in the 5.01 update - perhaps they are all "behind the scenes" ones that are not visible at the user level.

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I just sideloaded 5.0.1 OTA and it was all smooth. I use Fast ADB and it makes the process very simple.

Guys, keep posting your thoughts and things you find that 5.0.1 has changed, whether they are user interfacing or not. I am still trying to look for an official change log.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Attempted to flash the zip through TWRP recovery, but i'm getting an error that my device is being reported as 4.4.4 yet I know I'm running 5.0.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Attempted to flash the zip through TWRP recovery, but i'm getting an error that my device is being reported as 4.4.4 yet I know I'm running 5.0.
The zip file from google is not the same as flashing a custom rom zip. <facepalm>

You have to unpack the zip file and install the img files or run the flash all bat command. Good god. If only it was as easy as what you were trying to do.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Are you currently rooted (or have you made any changes to the system partition)? If so, you can't take OTA. You'll need to be completely stock to be able to apply OTA (New restriction introduced since Lollipop)

The zip file from google is not the same as flashing a custom rom zip. <facepalm>

You have to unpack the zip file and install the img files or run the flash all bat command. Good god. If only it was as easy as what you were trying to do.
Not if Kage_ is trying to install the OTA zip file (instead of the developer image as you seem to have assumed)

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted but stock beyond that. I have a few root apps like TiBackup, but nothing that that has updated the system unless SuperSU counts.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
If I do an unroot through SuperSU will that allow the OTA to install? What a pain. Someone needs to document the best way to do updates when rooted in LP.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
If I do an unroot through SuperSU will that allow the OTA to install?
No.
Someone needs to document the best way to do updates when rooted in LP.
There are enough threads out there that outline the steps to do updates, but at a high level, there are two ways of doing this. Assuming you want to go from 5.0 to 5.0.1, and you are rooted on 5.0

Option 1 Get back to stock 5.0 by downloading the 5.0 factory image file, and extracting the various images from that, and flash all of them in the right sequence, but skip userdata (assuming you don't want to lose data). Then, download the OTA zip file, and ADB sideload it. Done.

Option 2. Directly install the 5.0.1 - download the 5.0.1 factory image file, extract the various images from that, and flash all of them in the right sequence, but skip userdata (assuming you don't want to lose data). Done.

For obvious reasons, I'd recommend option 2

For more details, including the fastboot commands, see the first post at http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/guide-flash-factory-images-nexus-6shamu-t2954008 - use Method 2 (Method 1 will wipe your device)

daboy

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have just purchased a used Nexus 5 that was advertised as unlocked running 5.0 build LRX210. Is there a way for a newb like myself to know if I will get the OTA or have to sideload this update? Phone is working great so far with no problems.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have just purchased a used Nexus 5 that was advertised as unlocked running 5.0 build LRX210. Is there a way for a newb like myself to know if I will get the OTA or have to sideload this update? Phone is working great so far with no problems.

Depends on whether the phone has been rooted or not, and if any modifications have been made to the system files. If not, you should be able to get the OTA installed without a problem (you will get the OTA regardless - question is whether it will install successfully). Also, see my previous post in this thread

daboy

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Depends on whether the phone has been rooted or not, and if any modifications have been made to the system files. If not, you should be able to get the OTA installed without a problem (you will get the OTA regardless - question is whether it will install successfully). Also, see my previous post in this thread

I guess I will wait and see when the OTA happens as to whether anything has been done to this phone or not.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
No.

There are enough threads out there that outline the steps to do updates, but at a high level, there are two ways of doing this. Assuming you want to go from 5.0 to 5.0.1, and you are rooted on 5.0
<snip>
Option 2. Directly install the 5.0.1 - download the 5.0.1 factory image file, extract the various images from that, and flash all of them in the right sequence, but skip userdata (assuming you don't want to lose data). Done.

For obvious reasons, I'd recommend option 2

Thanks,

I downloaded the factory 5.0.1 image, flashed everything except the userdata and bootloader, since I have TWRP, and all is good. I'm hoping this update will take care of the wifi bug that gives me an auth error every time it connects to an access point.

Kage_

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
.... aaaand OTA installed yesterday at 10pm GMT+1 in Austria :)

Let's see if batterytime improved. I was happy with my battery under 4.4.4 (2 to 3 hrs screen on) but was very disappointed under 5.0 (barely got an hour screen on).
I hope the fix brings us more juice!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm