Volume Up + Volume Down + Power on Nexus 5?

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I keep reading that to put the Nexus 5 into fastboot mode, I need to hit Volume Up + Volume Down + Power. On the Nexus 5, Volume Up and Volume Down is one rocker. Am I supposed to press and release Volume Up, then Volume Down, and then Power? Or, am I supposed to somehow mash the whole Volume rocker while holding Power?

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I've always held down both sides of the rocker with two fingers while holding down the power with my thumb. Works every time.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
As noted above, just hold down volume up+volume down+power on. This is with the device turned off. Here is how Google describes it on their Factory Image page:

◦Using a key combo: Turn the device off, then turn it on and immediately hold down the relevant key combination for your device. For example, to put a Nexus 5 ("hammerhead") into fastboot mode, press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power as the device begins booting up.

Source: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Alternatively, you can do this from command line or terminal if you have usb debugging enabled and adb setup.

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Let us know if you have any questions!

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
OK. Thanks. That's the way I've been doing it. But, it's a poo-shoot as to whether it'll go into fastboot mode or just power up. I think I'll try the command line bit from now on.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I also find it tricky to get into Recovery on my N5....it tends to reboot. But you should get it to work eventually.

"Hammerhead", eh? An N5 codename, I guess.

Posted via the Android Central App

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that Guide. In it, I noted another area I was having trouble getting to:

"4. Use the Volume rockers to navigate to Recovery Mode
5. Once there, you will see No Command [under the green android guy on his back with his belly open and a red triangle with an exclamation mark in it]. Press and hold Power and click volume up like you want your music to go up one increment."

All over the web, I kept seeing press Volume Up and Power. And, once again, all I ended up doing was rebooting. The key is the holding of Power and the clicking of the Volume Up button.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The key is the holding of Power and the clicking of the Volume Up button.

Yes, this is the trickiest part. Press and hold Power, then while holding Power, click Volume Up, then release both. It should all occur in the span of about one second.