STILL no Lollipop update as of 12/24

sevoman

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5, ordered directly from Google. Had it for two months. AT&T sim card, works perfect, have unlimited data plan and wifi at home. Just no update as of today 12/24/14. Called Google tech support, guy didn't even ask for my IMEI, just said to wait. Said they released the OS to ATT and ATT was rolling it our slowly as not to bog down servers.

I have issue with this explanation as I was under the impression that Google sent the update DIRECT to Nexus devices. Also, in the past on my old nexus, I have received updates while on WiFi only without having SIM card installed.

There must be something wrong. I am clicking the 'check for updates' frequently and each time it says I'm up to date at 4.4.4
Anyone else still has not received the update? I don't want to do it manually, just want the OTA update.
Thanks in advance!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There must be something wrong. I am clicking the 'check for updates' frequently and each time it says I'm up to date at 4.4.4
You are, until your particular handset is put into the update queue. The 'check for updates' doesn't just look for the latest update, it asks the server "what's the latest update for IMEI 123xxxxx?" Since your handset isn't in the list for 5 yet, you have the latest version for your handset.

If Google pushed out Lollipop for all N5s forget N4s), especially at this time of year (watch the internet die tomorrow s millions of new computers, tablets and phones are being played with), it would be like the interstate that collapsed in California during the 1989 earthquake - traffic (on the internet) wouldn't just stop, it would get lost. (Try getting on around 11:45 PM eastern time on April 15th - that's another "rush hour".)

I've said the same thing here on the forum (many times) that the Google tech told you (and without having to tell anyone to wait), and everyone in the industry knows it - updates are pushed out slowly, so as not to kill the internet. I have no idea whether Google or AT&T will be sending it to you, or whether you'll receive it without a SIM, but you might not receive it for a month - or even more. It depends on where your handset ends up in the queue (and I have no idea whether that's numerical order, random or some other way, since I don't work for Google).

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't matter whether or not it has a sim. I used my N5 just on WiFi for the first 6 months I had it and got updates fine. I also got the lollipop ota much sooner than I would have thought because I was always one of the last getting the KitKat updates. You could try setting your date into the future but honestly the update isn't that great IMO.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't matter whether or not it has a sim. I used my N5 just on WiFi for the first 6 months I had it and got updates fine. I also got the lollipop ota much sooner than I would have thought because I was always one of the last getting the KitKat updates. You could try setting your date into the future but honestly the update isn't that great IMO.

One more vote against lollipop then? I am not updating when I get it.
Have you had any debilitating problems from lollipop?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
One more vote against lollipop then? I am not updating when I get it.
Have you had any debilitating problems from lollipop?
Well I haven't done a factory reset or cleared the cache partition yet so I can't say whether it's permanent, but my phone is a tad slower than it was on KitKat. Battery life is slightly worse for screen on time too, I think, but standby is still good.

I decreased the animations and that helped, but my phone just isn't as snappy and responsive as it was before the update. Again, that might be fixed with a reset. If I can ever back up all my data, I'll eventually do a factory reset but it's going to take a long time to back everything up to Dropbox.

And there are two things I don't like about lollipop. The notification cards are white and they get all bunched up at the bottom when there are a lot of them, and the battery reporting in settings is different and less useful than it was on KitKat. I hate to say it but I prefer KitKat to lollipop so far.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Same here, about Kitkat. Post-Lollipop my chief concern is reduced battery life....which was already a bit stretched on the Nexus 5. But early days I suppose...

Posted via the Android Central App

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Same here, no Lollipop as a Christmas present. Bought my Nexus 5 via Google Play store in early June 2014, but still no Android 5 update. It will arrive some time in 2015, I suppose. Or maybe not. Yeah I could sideload it (and then never know how long it would take for Google to send it to me), but why should I have to?

losl

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Merry Christmas and happy New Year!

Same here! I have not had the OTA lollipop (5.0.1) update for my N5 and N7(2012) too. I am still on 4.4.4. I am living in Vancouver BC CA, did any forum member in the same city get 5.0.1 update?

Thank you !

SLo

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey, so you haven't received your update either? Good to know. Thanks.

Nope haven't got it yet. I actually had it on my n7 but never installed and it disappeared after several days and hasn't come back. So right now I have an n5 and an n7 both on 4.4.4

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
So right now I have an n5 and an n7 both on 4.4.4
Meh, 4.4.4 is okay, I quite like it and I'm happy enough to stay with it. Although if you go to the AC forum archives you'll find plenty of "I hate 4.4.4, how do I go back to 4.4.3?" threads. Which isn't saying much, I suppose; I saw plenty of "Kit Kat blows! How do I go back to Jelly Bean?" threads too. There are folk who should never have left Gingerbread! :p I'm just puzzled exactly why I haven't received Lollipop yet - although I didn't get 4.4.4 until more than 6 weeks after its release. Sucks to be us I guess :)

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Meh, 4.4.4 is okay, I quite like it and I'm happy enough to stay with it. Although if you go to the AC forum archives you'll find plenty of "I hate 4.4.4, how do I go back to 4.4.3?" threads. Which isn't saying much, I suppose; I saw plenty of "Kit Kat blows! How do I go back to Jelly Bean?" threads too. There are folk who should never have left Gingerbread! :p I'm just puzzled exactly why I haven't received Lollipop yet - although I didn't get 4.4.4 until more than 6 weeks after its release. Sucks to be us I guess :)

Hey! I'm still on Cupcake! Donut sucks!! And don't even get me started about eclair!!! ;)

But seriously now that you say it that way I guess it makes sense. Someone is always gonna complain about an update and want to regress to a previous version or android no matter what.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
If Google pushed out Lollipop for all N5s forget N4s), especially at this time of year (watch the internet die tomorrow s millions of new computers, tablets and phones are being played with), it would be like the interstate that collapsed in California during the 1989 earthquake - traffic (on the internet) wouldn't just stop, it would get lost. (Try getting on around 11:45 PM eastern time on April 15th - that's another "rush hour".)

Good analogy, but I am pretty sure that is not accurate.

The web can certainly handle that traffic (and if "another company" can release their OS updates to ALL their devices on the same day, and not cause an internet meltdown, Google can certainly do that as well), And considering that the N5 is just a (very) small percentage of all the Android devices out there, it ain't gonna wreak havoc on the web.

I suspect Google does this in waves to find out "major" issues - so, the first wave gets the initial push. Google will monitor to see if there are any severe issues. If not, they push out second wave, and so on. And depending on the apps that different folks use, it makes sense - one app may not play well with the new update, while another app may be fine.

If they don't do this, they run into the risk of pushing out an update that disables cellular calling or other critical functionality like ios 8.0.1 did

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I suspect Google does this in waves to find out "major" issues - so, the first wave gets the initial push. Google will monitor to see if there are any severe issues. If not, they push out second wave, and so on.
On behalf of sevoman, brosko and myself - and others in our "still waiting" status - I would like to extend my profound thanks to all of you who are currently beta testing this Lollipop release for our Nexus 5 phones :)

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm the exception in this thread at least. I've had lollipop on my nexus 5 for over a month. I did a cache partition wipe since it was slow after the 5.0 and 5.0.1 updates. Both times it did the job. It runs great. I'd never pick KitKat over lollipop but that's me.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Nexus 5 on launch. I got the 5.0 update about a week after it was released. I just got 5.0.1 a few days ago, I don't remember when exactly.

Screenshot_2014-12-27-01-11-21.jpg

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm the exception in this thread at least. I've had lollipop on my nexus 5 for over a month. I did a cache partition wipe since it was slow after the 5.0 and 5.0.1 updates. Both times it did the job. It runs great. I'd never pick KitKat over lollipop but that's me.

I prefer KitKat actually. Lollipop lags on my N5. The lag is miniscule, but it's there, all the time, whenever I do something.

Moosebear

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I received Lollipop as an OTA update on my Nexus 5 (I've had it for a year) and I liked it a lot. But I also got the issue whereby my voice was distorting and barely audible to the other party on calls. Repeated resets and calls to Google led to a warrenty replacement, and now I'm back to a refurb device on 4.4, and I'm fine with that until they work out the kinks of 5.

I also realize: the time when any OS matters to me most is when I'm first playing with it. After that, it's just the individual apps that I'm using anyway, 95% of the time. So Lollipop whatevs, 4.4 is fine for a great, functioning device. If you hunger for novelty get yourself a new app. If you haven't already, download Nokia Here, and then open it and download your regional maps to get free offline GPS. Way better than Lollipop, lol!

sevoman

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
You are, until your particular handset is put into the update queue. The 'check for updates' doesn't just look for the latest update, it asks the server "what's the latest update for IMEI 123xxxxx?" Since your handset isn't in the list for 5 yet, you have the latest version for your handset.

I've said the same thing here on the forum (many times) that the Google tech told you (and without having to tell anyone to wait), and everyone in the industry knows it - updates are pushed out slowly, so as not to kill the internet. I have no idea whether Google or AT&T will be sending it to you, or whether you'll receive it without a SIM, but you might not receive it for a month - or even more. It depends on where your handset ends up in the queue (and I have no idea whether that's numerical order, random or some other way, since I don't work for Google).

gee, the internet doesn't seem to implode when apple pushes out their updates to 3 generations of iphones and two generations of ipads all at ONCE. That's a lot more than sending updates to all NEXUS devices, as I was asking about. exaggerate much?

Last edited: