Nexus 5 OS updtaes

snakehead28

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys

I bought Nexus 5 in the November. About week or two later I got an Update to android 5.0. I updated OS and it was great. I did not have any bugs (battery problems, etc...) Everything was great.
But after few days of using my phone broke up. I was not able to turn it on. I still had warranty, so I sent it the shop where I bought it. They repaired my phone (new motherboard and also new IMEI number). I got back my phone on monday this week. It works great now.

I got it back with android 4.4.3 and I updated it immediately to 4.4.4, But I can not update it to android 5.0 (or even 5.0.1 which has been released). When i check for updates in the phone menu, it will tell me that it is "up to date".

So where is the problem guys ? I check for updates every fuc*ing day and there is nothing.

I know that google releases uptades in "waves". When new OS is released, only 1 % of users will get that update (OTA). The others have to wait. If there are no bugs, than google, will release it to about 25 % of users, then to 50 %...etc. And it will go this way until everyone has the update.
But the Android 5.0 has been released in the november I still do not have it. I read on the internet that google releases updates every few days.

Is it okay, that I am still waiting ?

Is there a way to "speed things up " ?

Can I find out somewhere, when there will be another "release wave " by google ?

Thank you for your answers guys :)

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
No - you cannot force the update. Some folks may suggest clearing the framework data - it is not recommended.

You can however download the OTA zip file and sideload it using ADB (read more at http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/general/info-nexus-5-ota-help-desk-t2523217), or you can also flash the factory images from Google (the latter will cause you to lose your data if your bootloader isn't unlocked). To flash factory images, read this - http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/general/tutorial-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2513701

snakehead28

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
If I will download the OTA and sideload it using ADB, do I need to unlock bootloader ? Or by other words, will I loose my warranty ?

I won't mind losing data if I get the latest android :D I just do not want to loose warranty. So which of these ways of yours are the best if I want android 5.0 and I do not want to loose warranty ?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
No. Sideloading with ADB does not require an unlocked bootloader.

And as far as I know, unlocking bootloader doesn't cause warranty issues (at least not with Google). I've returned devices to Google Play store with unlocked bootloader, and there has never been an issue. Unlocking the bootloader is a standard step for flashing factory images - instructions are from Google themselves :) https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images - read step 4 below "To flash a system image:"

If you bough the device from a carrier etc (i.e...not from Google), it is possible that you may run into an ignorant tech who will blame any issue on the unlocked bootloader (which is just stupid)

If you choose to flash factory images, you can relock the bootloader after you complete the install. Just be aware that the next time you unlock the bootloader for any reason, your data will be wiped again.

snakehead28

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks,

I bought my phone from a carrier, so there is a big chance that I may run into an ignorant tech... :)

So i rather go with ADB :)

thank you very much :)

snakehead28

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
I have now android 5.0.1 :)

thank you very much.

I have few problems with adb...i got few "device not found". But than I installed USB drivers for nexus 5 and was fine then :)

thank you very much, bro :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power