Nexus 5 is riddled with terrible hardware

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Just to let everyone know, im on my 4th nexus 5 after having multiple ones die on me consistently. My first one decided to no longer power on and i got a replacement from google. My second one had terrible radios, so i would have no cell service or wifi at all with the phone even in areas where i always have signal. My third and fourth one decided to act like my first one an not want to power on, all it did was bootloop. 4 nexus 5's in ONE year since its release. Thats (excuse my french) ******* terrible. Decided to call up google to see if i can get another replacement, but since im over my one year warranty they basically told me sorry we cant do anything about it. I mean...if 4 phones broke, and 3 phones out of the 4 all had the same problem is it really my fault? Can someone give me some insight on how to maybe fix this problem? Google has been unhelpful so far.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Warranty of merchantability - see an attorney. In some states, the warranty can't be waived (IOW, the "no other warranty implied or expressed" means "except the warranty of merchantability"), and your situation certainly proves that the phone can't be used for the purpose for which it's being sold.

(Although all your problems could also be software-related - bootlooping, bad radios [bad modems will cause no reception] amd failure to power on can all be caused by software problems. Not that it's an excuse - it's just your topic. Terrible phone, maybe, but not necessarily terrible hardware. Maybe terrible hardware. Maybe terrible software. Maybe a combination.)

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
1 year on my Nexus 5 and I got my mom one two. Both are doing fine. I have dropped mine only once.

Not sure about your power-on problem unless the battery is dead or defective (or your charger or cable is). Or if the power button stopped working.

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Got my nexus 5 in February and have had no problems with it.. Have even dropped it numerous times and no damage.. Works just as smooth as the day I got it..

Posted via Android Central App

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 5 for over a year now. The only hardware problem I had was the battery, but I just replaced that this morning. Other than that, no hardware issues here.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 5 was made in January of last year and I bought it on June 29th. So far, no problems of any sort--other than user problems--and I'm delighted with my Nexus 5.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
At this point, I would suggest filing a claim with the BBB and state attorney general. If this is a carrier model or acquired through a carrier then you can also contact them.

You need to review the warranty terms specifically the dispute terms and incorporate what it says into the filing. Something like you would like to resolve this amicably before going through arbitration or small claims ,whatever the terms allow.

If that doesn't work then follow the terms and issue a notice of dispute and go from there .

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Andrei Paval

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 5 for over a year now. The only hardware problem I had was the battery, but I just replaced that this morning. Other than that, no hardware issues here.

Could you please post the link with the replacement battery you bought ?
I also got this one from ebay: "ebay.com/itm/361075010454" (cannot post links), but I cannot get more than 2 hours SOT from it, it's driving me crazy.
What is your battery life with the replacement battery ?
Thanks.

Last edited:

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
It kind of reminds me of the cartoon character who had a black cloud following him around. I see this same pattern of bad luck on the digital SLR forums, the Kindle Forums, Android 5 forums, and now the Nexus 5 forum.

It's that darned black cloud that follows some people around.

fishyweb

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I'd say you're either exceptionally unlucky, or you're consistently loading some piece of software that is causing the bootloop problem. If there was a systemic problem with the hardware, I think the forums would be in meltdown with people complaining about it.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Could you please post the link with the replacement battery you bought ?
I also got this one from ebay: "ebay.com/itm/361075010454" (cannot post links), but I cannot get more than 2 hours SOT from it, it's driving me crazy.
What is your battery life with the replacement battery ?
Thanks.

Amazon.com: Genuine OEM Google Nexus 5 LG D820 D821 2300mAh Battery BL-T9 3.8V 8.74Wh: Cell Phones & Accessories

I made sure to buy from a US seller instead of China.

I get about 4 hours of screen on time now.