Contact Groups

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have created groups for my contacts via Gmail (on my computer). How do I see those groups in the Contacts app on my phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's more obscure than it used to be. In Contacts, tap Menu>Contacts to Display>Customize. You'll see your groups there. There isn't a way to display them on the fly.

Emailing a group has also been a deficiency in the mobile Gmail app. I use Gmail Group Share, which works pretty well. You just have to make sure it's set to display all System Groups and Hidden Groups.

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I use Contacts Group U app.
It permits you to define groups and send a new email to a group.
Groups don't actually appear in stock Contacts.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I tried Gmail Group Share but it is unable to find all my Gmail groups. I have 3 small gmail groups. Invisible groups setting in Gmail is checked. I uninstalled and re-installed. I cleared cache and data. Still no third group. Too bad. It seemed like a good app.

GroupManager app lists all my groups in all my accounts. I like the fact that it allows the option of last name first which others do not. But I don't see any way of putting the group in an email. What am I missing?

Contacts GroupU seems to find all my groups in all my accounts and enables me to email to the group. It's only drawback, a minor issue, is the lack of a last name first option.
Eva

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great! I have no idea what System Groups and Invisible Groups are, since they're not designated that way in Google Contacts. But since it ultimately works, I don't mind!

Robin Tsuji

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I have downloaded the gmail group share and clicked all the "show" buttons as was suggested to you. I can now see all my contact groups just as they appear in contacts on the computer. BUT...I can't figure out how to actually send an email. When I click on the group I want, it simply reloads the page listing all the groups. How do I start an email? Such a silly problem for something that used to be so easy.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! After you tap a group, you should be prompted to select an app to complete the function--like Gmail, Email, etc. It will also ask you to select "Just Once" or "Always."

Try going to Settings>Apps, tap the Menu button, then Reset All App Preferences. Now try again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you send an email to a group that way?

By the way, you can still display a contact group in the Lollipop Contacts app--it's just more inconvenient now. In the Contacts app, tap Menu, then Contacts to Display, then Customize. Now choose the group you want to display. Obviously, this is a bit of a pain if you want to toggle between contact groups quickly. And there's still no way to email a group in the stock Gmail or Contacts app.

harvener

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
You said NEW email. How does it work for "forwarding" an email? I read my emails, then I want to "forward" them (after editing/deleting extraneous info) to my gmail GROUP 1 AS BCC; sometimes I look in my other GROUPS to pick out who I want to send it too. How can I do this with this App. I've never paid even a cent for ANY App and I don't intend to start. Even my Droid X and Droid Razr Maxx cells properly allow me to select any of my GROUPS -- why is my Samsung Galaxy S5 so DUMB!?