Google Play Music using too much battery

Weeyuu

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5, and whenever I listen to music with Google Play Music, it drains the battery like crazy. I have the phone in airplane mode, and location, WiFi, everything else is off. As you can see from the screenshots, the phone went down about 35% in an hour with Google Play Music at the top of the usage list. It seems to be keeping the phone awake (not sure if this is normal), and the screen was off for most of the time. What's weird is that even though I had WiFi disabled, it was showing as active in the screenshot.

Also, the phone gets VERY warm when I listen to it for a little while.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-11-08-46-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-11-08-46-15.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2015-02-11-08-46-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-11-08-46-28.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 23

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5, and whenever I listen to music with Google Play Music, it drains the battery like crazy. I have the phone in airplane mode, and location, WiFi, everything else is off. As you can see from the screenshots, the phone went down about 35% in an hour with Google Play Music at the top of the usage list.
But only consuming 10% of the total battery consumption, or 3.5% of the battery.

It seems to be keeping the phone awake (not sure if this is normal)
It wasn't awake much until about 8AM, then it was awake solidly for a few hours - I assume that's when you were listening. The phone can't play music if the CPU is asleep.

What's weird is that even though I had WiFi disabled, it was showing as active in the screenshot.
You probably have it set to check for wifi signals, and it's doing it in little bursts that are too close together to show up separately in that line.

Also, the phone gets VERY warm when I listen to it for a little while.
That's not normal. Did this just start happening? Has anything changed since it was working without a problem?

Weeyuu

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Until 5:30am I was sleeping so the phone barely went down - when I woke up you can see me check my phone and the battery drain a bit, but once I got on the flight at 7am, turned on airplane mode, turned off WiFi and all of that, and started listening to music, that's when it does that big drop. That was about an hour and a half and it went from about 95% to 65%. That's with the screen totally off (except for turning it on a couple of times to change the track, but the you can see the little blips at the bottom to see when I turned on the screen) so it just boggles me as to why it's using so much battery.

Also, I've noticed that for battery, if I have WiFi on and then disable it, when I look in the battery it still shows as WiFi being enabled unless I reset my phone and then it shows as disabled. Kind of weird.

As far as the heat goes, sometimes it gets warm and sometimes it doesn't. I have no idea what triggers it, but the only times it gets hot is if I have it charging and play Clash of Clans for a bit, or if I'm listening to music (and the phone is not charging). Again the screen is off and the music is just on shuffle so I'm not actually using the phone, but the phone gets very warm.

Weeyuu

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I just called Google (well, used their callback feature) about this, and the lady said that 30-40% battery drainage in an hour is normal for listening to music, and that it's also normal for the phone to get warm...

This can't be correct... Can it?