Why aren't my Nexus 5.1 widgets updating?

A

AC Question

Nexus 5.1 Widgets Not Updating

I think I found a huge widget bug with 5.1. I manually loaded the update and everything checks out. No custom ROMs or rooting or anything funky, just straight up Nexus 5.

Everything was going well until after about a day of smooth running, I noticed that my widgets weren't working well. Here's what they do:

1. No widgets update. None. Not manually not automatically. I've tried it with 6 different widgets. The screen registers a click on all of their respective refresh buttons, but nothing happens to any of them.

2. Any widget that requires a button to scroll through information (ESPN Scorecenter, NBA Gametime, MLB AtBat {yes, I'm a sports fan}) doesn't work. It just sits there. BUT, it appears to be only a display thing b/c if I scroll, even though the screen stays the same, if I click on a piece of content (like a game score) it will take me to the game score that SHOULD be displaying rather than the one that is stuck on the screen.

4. Widgets that scroll, work fine (APW Timeline, Calendar, Press)

3. As previously mentioned, clicking on content still works...sometimes. After a while, on widgets that scroll, the ability to click on content also goes away. They just sit there and let you scroll and nothing else.

Here's what I've tried as far as troubleshooting, nothing short of rebooting has worked:

1. Cleared system cache (went into recovery mode etc)

2. Cleared all cache of all apps (Settings>Storage>Cached Data>Clear Cached Data)

3. Cleared Cache and Data of each individual app

4. Tried adding new widgets to home screen, this doesn't work b/c while this bug is present, no widget, no matter where it's from will update. So, you just get an empty box.

5. Even tried a new launcher (NOVA) No dice.

Here's the trouble shooting I haven't tried:

1. Uninstalling and re-installing apps. I didn't do this b/c there is no one app affected,

2. wiping and starting over. This shouldn't matter b/c when I side loaded, everything got wiped anyway.

This is really problematic. I really thought this update did the trick but this is a total mind bender.

Anyone else seeing this? Any thoughts?

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5.1 Widgets Not Updating

A shot in the dark:
I have seen a report that 5.1 max's out your RAM.
You might check that.
Perhaps not enough resources to drive the widgets?

Silentoath21

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5.1 Widgets Not Updating

I am having the exact same issue. I removed all widgets and cleared cache. I re added them and they worked for about 2 minutes. Now they all stopped again.