Why is my Nexus 5 battery draining so quickly?

A

AC Question

Nexus 5 - Battery draining issue

This question has probably been raised in various different ways, but still probably has a variance to the others. Whenever I use my Nexus 5 with Location turned on and a phone call comes in, my battery drains like crazy. For instance yesterday I had Google Maps running and a phone conversation for 5 minutes. My battery drained from 68% to 20%. That seems like a very high battery drain. Wi-fi was off, bluetooth was off. Display: Adaptive Brightness. I am on Android 5.0.1. What am I doing wrong? Or is this expected behavior for the Nexus 5?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 - Battery draining issue

This question has probably been raised in various different ways, but still probably has a variance to the others. Whenever I use my Nexus 5 with Location turned on and a phone call comes in, my battery drains like crazy. For instance yesterday I had Google Maps running and a phone conversation for 5 minutes. My battery drained from 68% to 20%. That seems like a very high battery drain. Wi-fi was off, bluetooth was off. Display: Adaptive Brightness. I am on Android 5.0.1. What am I doing wrong? Or is this expected behavior for the Nexus 5?
That's a little unusual...at least for a 5-minute phone call. Could you open system settings > battery and post a screen shot of the battery information then open the first app/service or two and take a screen shot of that? That'll help us identify what is causing the problem. Worst case scenario is that you need to factory reset and clear out any issues related to any updates you may have received since purchasing the device (5.0).

achatter01

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! It seems to be behaving better now. I had WiFi "Scanning always available" turned on. Turned that off and keeping an eye on it. I probably need to flash it to the 5.1. Seen a lot of good reports on battery performance being better...

I will post a screen grab if I see the situation again. Thanks!

achatter01

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
So it started happening again this evening. Battery dropped from 52% to 30% in just under 2 hours with the phone practically sitting idle, with me checking a quick email or two. Attached is a screen shot of the graph details - Screenshot_2015-03-19-22-46-32.jpg

fountaincap

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I think maybe it's your cell signal which looks low judging by that graph. If you have cellular data on and set it at LTE in a low signal environment, I think that puts a lot of strain on the battery, as the phone keeps trying to connect at a higher speed. This is the case in my office. So when I'm in there I always switch to 2G and no cellular data. Battery drains much slower after that.

achatter01

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm...after I took this snapshot, I turned off WiFi and it seemed to stop the battery drain. I am wondering if it is WiFi or some settings related to WiFi that might be causing this.

PPP mcleod2

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 - Battery draining issue

Turning off WiFi like you did helped me a ton. Also disabling google now helped me. I enable WiFi when I need it.

Posted via Android Central App