Why won't my new Google Play Music App shut down?

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
New Google Play Music App Won't Shut Down

I'm sure the title to this thread isn't quite right. But, this morning (19 March 2015), my Nexus 5 updated its Google Play Music App to v 5.8.1836R.1787745. Now, once I start the thing, it won't stop. Yes. It stops playing music. But, the app continues to sit in the notification area when I drag down from the top, the Bluetooth "headphones" icon won't go away, and the phone starts to heat up at the top back. Anyone know how to go back to the old behavior of it just going away when I'm done with it?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: New Google Play Music App Won't Shut Down

For me that's always been the behaviour (not the heating up and not BT connection unless I'm actually using headphones), but once you pause/stop music, the player stays in your notification area until you CLOSE the app (there should be an 'X' next to the notification). If you close it, does it go away?

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

No 'X' on my notification. But, shortly after I posted here, my wife came by and illustrated my level of intelligence by simply swiping the notification away. Sigh. That got rid of the headphones icon in the top bar as well.

It's odd that yours always left the player in the notification area. On mine, it used to be that when I turned off my Bluetooth headphones, or if I stopped playing a song and closed the app, it didn't show up anywhere. Anyway, I've got a work-around that's acceptable now. Thanks for the reply.

phillco93

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I've got this same issue (overheating and all), but swiping doesn't make mine go away. The only way I can get Play to truly stop is to shut it down from the Active Apps menu. Additionally, my skip forward or backwards buttons don't work anymore, either. Really confused by this latest update, and not a fan.

Thanks for your post. Good to know I'm not the only one having issues with it.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Since the last update I am experiencing the same issue. I stream music over bluetooth in the car. When I turn off the stereo, the app used to close. Now it just pauses and sits in the notification area until I swipe it away. Also the other day, after swiping away it just restarted while in my pocket for no apparent reason. This is quite annoying.

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
+1 --- I'm experiencing the exact same issue since one of the last updates. This was not the behavior I previously experienced.

Semi-Related... I'm often listening to Tune-In Radio or a Podcast while playing Words With Friends. Recently (similar to the Music Player update time frame), after playing a turn in WWF, a video ad will play... When the video ad is finished, my Tune-In/Podcast will no longer resume. Instead, whatever was the last song playing in Google Music will begin playing again, even if it's been hours since I last played the song. Strange coincidence???... I think not.

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
i noticed this as well;

a lollipop oddity ..

I simply swipe it away in the notification, to close it, & then again in the multitask part..

I also notice I HAVE to give google play music 1st dibs at playing music, or my preferred go to apps like vlc, will loose sound; then rebooting would bring the sound back in 3rd party apps, I noticed google play music did not have this oddity; so this week, I've been starting google play music, 1st with one random song then closing it, switching to vlc & then it blasts my music as normal..

the oddity in closing goggle play music is like adding a new entry the contacts;

there's no *finished* as before, if you add the new contact, then simply close it out, there's a pop up notification reading *contact saved*.. funny but..

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site

Fyi, the Google Play Music issue isn't related to Lollipop or the Nexus 5. I'm seeing it on my Droid Turbo on KitKat. In fact, it won't even swipe off my notifications list, I have to press the "x" on the banner. The other day even that didn't work. It was stuck in notifications until I rebooted the phone.

bagou01

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

same issue here, N5, everything up to date, app won't close, i have to swype it from the cards as well as from the notifications. and even then it happens to reopen for no reason....

Caezar07

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I have to think that this isn't a glitch and it's programmed to do this. I don't know why google would do this. All it does is crowd my notification area.

andrew nelson2

May 13, 2016
Visit site

I'm sure the title to this thread isn't quite right. But, this morning (19 March 2015), my Nexus 5 updated its Google Play Music App to v 5.8.1836R.1787745. Now, once I start the thing, it won't stop. Yes. It stops playing music. But, the app continues to sit in the notification area when I drag down from the top, the Bluetooth "headphones" icon won't go away, and the phone starts to heat up at the top back. Anyone know how to go back to the old behavior of it just going away when I'm done with it?

I just found how to get rid of it. I opened the music player and cleared the cue and it went away when I closed it

geolemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Well that's hardly intuitive!

My Nexus 5x just updated to 7.1.1 and here's an app that's taken a turn for the worse.

I don't usually use this app, and based on this PITA behavior I'm not going to try using it again.
I found this thread because I was having this issue specifically, I only opened the app since I was having a Bluetooth issue that I wanted to troubleshoot if it was related to the app I was trying to listen to, or Bluetooth in general related to the 7.1.1 update.

"Pause" was my only option, once a song was playing.
Clearing my "recently used apps" list did nothing but clear the list.

You have to do a whole bunch of jumping through hoops to close this thing - that's unacceptable.

To close this app, you have to (HAVE to)

1) pause your music (this seems unnecessary - see below)
2) Back out of the app (there should be a setting, a preference, that allows this behavior alone to kill the app - or an "exit" option IN the app)
3) Pull down the notification bar
4) Swipe the notification away (if not paused, this does nothing)

#1 is particularly insulting.
...If I want to stop listening, and the notification is the only way to exit the app, why isn't there a "stop" button there?
Or alternatively - allow the user to swipe the notification away while music is playing, to do the same thing?

Why force them to have to go BACK into the app, pause the song, come back OUT of the app, then pull the notification bar down AGAIN, and swipe it away? Talk about jumping through hoops. It's certainly enough to keep me out of the app - I have enough PITA experiences in my life, I don't need to add to them.

Good luck with your own attempts to exit this thing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
To close this app, you have to (HAVE to)

1) pause your music (this seems unnecessary - see below)
2) Back out of the app (there should be a setting, a preference, that allows this behavior alone to kill the app - or an "exit" option IN the app)
3) Pull down the notification bar
4) Swipe the notification away (if not paused, this does nothing)

I believe the reason you have to do this is because Google Play Music is designed to play in the background as well as the foreground. So if you were to swipe it away in the Recent Apps list while the music was still playing, the music would stop, which people who do use the app may not appreciate. Having to pause the music first is a signal to the app that you're done listening, after which you can swipe it away in the Recent Apps (although you shouldn't have to swipe it away/close it unless it's somehow malfunctioning).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781