Is this malware?

Ilfracombe

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Last week four strange files appeared in my downloads folder, with titles like szg2Nct_N4Y. They are very small: 4.87KB.
This morning, I got a warning message from Mailer-Daemon@gollum.westhost.no, saying that a message sent to columb@yar.ru had been delayed for 48 hours. I have never heard of that address, and I have no record of anything being sent there.
Does this indicate malware?
Of course, the files and the email may not be connected, and the email might indicate a problem on my other computer(s).
Thanks in advance.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As you say, they may not be connected. Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and an anti-virus app like Avast Mobile Security & Antivirus, AVG AntiVirus Security, Avira Antivirus Security or Kaspersky Internet Security. Run Malwarebytes and let it rn to completion (it can take hours - it will run in the background). then run the anti-virus app. Same thing, it can take hours and will run in the background. (Don't run them both at the same time or your phone will lose a race with a dead snail. And you only need one anti-virus app.)

Whether it's on your phone or one of your computers, it's an old virus. I think the first time I ran into it was around 1998. (Someone opened an email without knowing that a British bank wouldn't be sending an email to an American. The email was, of course, the virus.)

Ilfracombe

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I installed Malwarebytes and then Avast Mobile Security and Antivirus. I'll let you know what happens. But first, doesn't the Avast app also do what Mawarebytes does? Why would I need both?

jleebiker

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I installed Malwarebytes and then Avast Mobile Security and Antivirus. I'll let you know what happens. But first, doesn't the Avast app also do what Mawarebytes does? Why would I need both?

Different definitions and different engines, one might find something the other misses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674