How do I get rid of Cloud Scout Adware?

A

AC Question

How do I get rid of Cloud Scout Adware

I have a Nexus 5 running Android Lollipop and unrooted. Today I went on the internet and got a rude surprise when I found out I had an adware called CloudScout. I unistalled the app that I thought was responsible but it was still there. I then installed 2 different Malware Scanning Apps both of them didn't pick up anything so please help.
P.S I am only aware of this happening on Chrome browser for Chrome

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do I get rid of Cloud Scout Adware

Welcome to Android Central! How do you know you have the adware? Was there a popup that warned you that it was present? If so, that's probably a bogus ad that's trying to lure you into installing a security app (that is probably a malicious app itself).

ecolyx

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
I have this issue too.

It is apparent when going to a page on Chrome, ie www dot gumtree dot com dot au (a well known free classified site), when html5 popups start appearing and gradually bring the browser to a slow death. There is a banner on the ads saying "ads by cloudscout" and icons to click for settings.

The settings take you to a page called "removemyapp dot info" with my MAC address appearing in the URL as a parameter, and another linking www dot cloudguard dot me. This shows various opt out options (suspend for an hour/day/week/forever), but clicking and saving does not get rid of the ads. It probably just confirms a successful hijack to the cloudscout distributors.

The cloudguard website linked admits to installing cloudscout, calling it a parental control, but it isn't, its an ad hijacker, which is apparently able to change dns settings in some instances.

They have a contact us form, I have sent a cease and desist notice and asked for instructions on how to remove all of their "products" from my devices. I have had no reply.

This is very clearly malware, and despite being a software engineer have had extreme difficulty getting rid of it, so far failing. If I succeed or can provide further information I will update this page.

Suggesting this is a bogus ad soliciting installation is very assumptive, and totally incorrect.

I would welcome any good advice on how to remove. Feel free to ask question if it helps with diagnosis.

Thanks,
Charlie

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae