G2 vs nexus 5

chris2707

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Right I currently have the LG g2 and really like it, but just to mix things a bit I've just been offered a nexus 5 as a swap. Now if I had been offered the choice before I think I'd have gone nexus 5, but the battery and camera on the g2 are great, but the nexus 5 is gonna get regular updates which the g2 doesn't seem to get and the nexus has pure android... Apart from battery and camera is there any differences?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The camera on the Nexus 5 is excellent, in my opinion. I am often able to take some spectacular shots with it. My wife with her M8 often looks at my photos with envy. The Nexus 5 can also take advantage of the Lollipop camera API that allows for manual exposure. Really, the main disadvantage is the battery. I usually only get at most 2-3 hrs of total screen-on time with a full charge. The flip side is that the battery charges up to full pretty quickly, so I usually just throw it on a wireless charger at home when I'm not using it, and I hardly ever have to worry about running low.

chris2707

May 26, 2014
Visit site
If they did updates regularly I'd possibly keep it but lg don't seem to be keen to do updates n with the g4 coming I think the g2 might get forgotten about

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If they did updates regularly I'd possibly keep it but lg don't seem to be keen to do updates n with the g4 coming I think the g2 might get forgotten about

With all of the various Lollipop issues being discussed (and the many "how do I downgrade back to KitKat?" posts), it's worth considering that getting all updates all the time isn't always the best thing since sliced bread. If a device works well on a particular Android version, then ask yourself if you really need an update.:)

chris2707

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Well yes there is that but still, think there's more of a chance of the nexus 5 getting support for bug fixes and issues for longer than the g2 and at a quicker rate. To be honest the camera is one of the main reasons against getting the n5 and I'm liking these rear buttons on the g2

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I agree with B. Diddy about the N5's camera. Despite the relatively modest specs, it just seems to turn out good results. Not as good as my Lumia 1020 (to give you an idea of what I can compare it to), but even so, surprisingly high quality.

Posted via the Android Central App

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Why not just root your G2 and flash a custom ROM? You improve G2 UI with better battery life and camera than N5.

Sent from my LG G2 running CM 12

xxjoStaxx

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The camera on the Nexus 5 is excellent, in my opinion. I am often able to take some spectacular shots with it. My wife with her M8 often looks at my photos with envy. The Nexus 5 can also take advantage of the Lollipop camera API that allows for manual exposure. Really, the main disadvantage is the battery. I usually only get at most 2-3 hrs of total screen-on time with a full charge. The flip side is that the battery charges up to full pretty quickly, so I usually just throw it on a wireless charger at home when I'm not using it, and I hardly ever have to worry about running low.

Def get the N5. It's an incredible phone. Here are a couple pics I took with my Nexus....

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 42707.jpg
    42707.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 24

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
That's true. But I'm tellin' ya, the N5 camera gets a bad rap. It's really quite good!

I have to agree with B. Diddy the N5 camera is good and has a bad rap. I will admit I had problem at one point with it but after a couple of Camera App update it now work great.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I had a bit of a love/hate with my Nexus 5. It was a nearly perfect phone.... but between the camera and battery... it ended up wearing me down.

Yes... the camera has a now-undeserved bad reputation that was mostly built shortly after launch when the software was a total mess. Google did address a lot of those issues and after 4.4.2, it could take some quite good shots. But the focusing problems gave me and my wife fits (we both had a N5) at times. When we were out and about, doing something with the wee-ones... you have no idea how many times I heard "Why is it not focusing!?" Sometimes, she would start to take a video and it would refuse to focus until she stopped recording and fussed with it a bit. Othertimes it would focus and when she took the picture, *poof* out of focus again. It had gotten to the point where she wouldn't use the N5's camera if she was able to bring along her compact Olympus and our little portable Samsung video cam. I was hoping the LP update fixed the problems, but they really didn't in any meaningful way.

I have since switcher her to a LG G3 and slowly, the Olympus and Samsung cameras went back to the shelf.

And the battery... well, its 2300mah... it was OK day to day, but it had no real endurance. But that isn't as big a deal these days as it seems everyone now has a portable power pack in their bags/pockets/purses. Still, the G2's battery dwarfs the Nexus 5....

I would say that if you already have an LG G2.... load a custom AOSP ROM on the it rather than swapping it for a Nexus 5. You'll end up with a Nexus 5 with an upgraded screen, battery and camera (because those are pretty much were where LG compromised to get the Nexus 5 to its price point).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to say that I never experienced camera issues to that degree. I wonder if there were some hardware issues with a certain batch of N5's?

Totally agree about the battery. Since the G2 and the N5 are almost sister devices, I still don't understand why LG didn't put the G2 battery in the N5.:-\

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to say that I never experienced camera issues to that degree. I wonder if there were some hardware issues with a certain batch of N5's?

Totally agree about the battery. Since the G2 and the N5 are almost sister devices, I still don't understand why LG didn't put the G2 battery in the N5.:-\

Well, it COULD be I guess. I got both Nexus 5's in January of 2014, so they would have most likely been built around the same time. But I don't think it was a hardware issue, it's all software. I can even see bits and pieces of the focusing derpitude on my Nexus 6... mostly when taking video. Its not nearly as bad though.

As for the battery... why not go with the 3000+ lump of the G2? It was probably a function of both the increased size/weight and price.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I still don't understand why LG didn't put the G2 battery in the N5.

I would say cost, Google wanted to keep the price down. Yes I know a dollar for a cheaper battery is not much put multiply that time hundreds of thousands and you saved some money. Just my 00.02 worth.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I still don't understand why LG didn't put the G2 battery in the N5.

I would say cost, Google wanted to keep the price down. Yes I know a dollar for a cheaper battery is not much put multiply that time hundreds of thousands and you saved some money. Just my 00.02 worth.

Othertimes it would focus and when she took the picture, *poof* out of focus again. It had gotten to the point where she wouldn't use the N5's camera if she was able to bring along her compact Olympus and our little portable Samsung video cam. I was hoping the LP update fixed the problems, but they really didn't in any meaningful way.

That is one of the problems I had. However I do not have that issue anymore. What version of Camera App are you running? Mine is version 2.4.025. I also ways do the dreaded Factory Reset after the OS updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2