Why won't my Nexus 5 wifi turn on?

David Osah

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 5 Wifi Won't turn on. Help Please!

A few weeks after installing the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update, I began having issues with my Nexus 5. When I go to turn on the Wifi in the settings menu, the toggle switch is grayed-out and I can't use it. Instead of the phone finding connections, I just get the constant dialogue that says "turning wifi on." This just stays like that and I can't use any wifi functionality. I've tried fixes like installing custom ROMS (I tried Paranoid Android and CyanogenMod). I tried rebooting and factory resetting. I even called Google's customer service line and they were unable to fix the issue. Please Help!!

Screenshot_2015-06-23-23-36-41[1].jpg

arianboy1

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 Wifi Won't turn on. Help Please!

Hi,
I've had the same issue but i had it fixed by a repairman.
he solded the wifi connector again and that fixed it.
hope it helps!

-Ariën

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site

I occasionally had this issue and think it was caused by Llama app, which controls my Wi-Fi (on and off).
Reboot always helped, but didn't find a permanent solution.

dotheDVDeed

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

Nothing helped. A complete reset and I'm still seeing "Turning Wi-Fi on..." endlessly.

Last edited:

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site

Taking in consideration it worked before update, hardware issue is unlikely. Try to sift through your apps. :/
Try to set up a specific band (2.4 or 5 GHz) only.

dotheDVDeed

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

Thanks but I did a factory data reset--only the most basic google programs remain--nope. After that I did a safe boot and still no luck. Fiddled with band setting but because the wifi never fires up it reverts back to automatic.

My theory is it overheated while charging or gps-ing and the connection to the wifi antenna was broken. See arianboy1's post above yours where he had the wifi connector re-soldered. Of course mine is out of warranty.

Tim

Last edited:

Kelv Cutler

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

Same issue here! If only I were a hardware guy and had a solder gun, I imagine the problem is with the Wifi unit getting detached somewhere (as some made mention above).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay