Nexus 5 crashing randomly on Lollipop and after downgrade KitKat, what should I do?

John C Preston

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Nexus 5 crashing randomly on lollipop and after downgrade kit kat

Hi

Im hoping someone can suggest next steps to sorting out this problem.

Got the N5 in 2012 with 4.4.4 on loved it, no problems then. Then lollipop came along causing battery drain and random crashes. Waited for 5.1 hoping for fixes, installed it battery life improved but still crashed randomly. I put it down to the memory leak problem. I decided to downgrade. I downgraded back to kitkat 4.4.4 after unlocking the boot loader. Now I have random crashes running Kit Kat. Anyone got any ideas what I shpuld do next or any tools I should run to diagnose the problem.

Thanks in advance

PS If I carry my USB battery pack around and keep phone plugged into it the phone never crashes. Its just not a very mobile phone then!!

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 crashing randomly on lollipop and after downgrade kit kat

Welcome to Android Central and the Nexus 5 forum. :)

Excuse me if my reply seems simplistic, but are you sure that your problems are not simply due to a failing battery?

Posted via the Android Central App

John C Preston

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for quick reply. I did check with GSAM app. Its holding charge for a day or so if I dont use it and it doesnt crash. I think its OK. It may be hardware if the problem followed recurred after reverting to kit kat. I need to find out what the simplest most stable release is and load that or maybe root it and load a third party OS.

John C Preston

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site

I have been testing the battery and found that the temperature rises quite quickly to 38 degrees C and the voltage drops to around 3.3 V [on charge it sits at 4.3v]. I have ordered a new battery to eliminate that as a problem. Thanks for your advice.

Can anyone recommend any smart chargers that monitors voltage and allows the battery to discharge to say 5% before recharging to eliminate memory effect with the battery. A speed charge function would also be handy

John C Preston

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site

Hi Belodian
I ordered the tools and a new battery and changed the battery today and voila it worked so upgraded from KitKat to 5.1.1 and its all still good. Interesting though, the USB multiport charger I bought is charging at 80mA through the 2.1A port and 700mA through the 1A port trough same cable. I wondered if I had overcharged the last battery and damaged it. I thought the phone regulated the current as it draws to charge the battery. Mystery.

Anyway thanks for the advice
Best wishes
John