My Nexus 5 volume down button and power button sometimes do not work. How can I fix this on my own?

metter

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Nexus 5 volume down button and sometimes power button not working.

Yesterday the volume down button and power button started not working. This has happened before and usually if I turn it off and on again the problem is fixed. That's not working this time. The power button works about 2/3rds of the time and the down volume button won't work at all, it sometimes even lowers the volume by itself. Because of this problem, whenever I turn the phone off and on again it brings me to the fastboot page and puts my phone on safemode, which I can't get out of. I've tried taking the battery out and putting it back in, doing a factory data reset, and using recovery mode. Please help, I don't want to pay to get it fixed.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 volume down button and sometimes power button not working.

You may have to. The phone has to be disassembled, and you have to measure the switch. (An oscilloscope is best, because you might be looking for tiny spikes that won't show on a meter.) If the switch is bad it has to be replaced - which takes a very fine-tipped soldering iron and some experience soldering to contacts on a plastic substrate. The most likely outcome of your doing it yourself is a trip to a repair shop to have the motherboard replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance