WiFi Very Slow to Connect

Michael Carraher

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Over the last few days, my Nexus 5 (running Android 5.1.1) has been very slow to connect to Internet sites (web pages, podcast feeds and episode downloads). It takes a minute or two to connect to a webpage (even when coming from another page on the same site) or to check for updates on a podcast subscription (RSS feed). I also have frequently been seeing an exclamation point (!) next to my WiFi icon and often next to my cell signal strength icon, too.

The problem occurs on the connection to my home network router (Comcast Internet Access) but the problem does not occur on WiFi access to my home router from desktop PC or Tivo. Also the problem does not occur on my Nexus 5 with WiFi access to public Comcast hotspots.

Speed Test (once it finds a server to connect to) says I am getting normal download and upload speeds.
WiFi Analyzer finds no channel interference.

I have tried....
Rebooting the phone.
Doing a factory data reset on the phone.
Doing a factory reset on my router.
Clearing the partition cache on the phone.
Changing the DNS on the phone.

Any solutions? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you ever have problems with mobile data, since you mentioned the exclamation point next to the cell signal icon?

Does your router have a QoS (Quality of Service) setting? If so, turn it off. That prioritizes certain devices over others, so maybe it could be throttling your phone's connection.

See other ideas here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

Michael Carraher

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for getting back to me. No QoS setting on my router. Saw it pictured on similar models but it's not on mine.

In any case, the problem disappeared yesterday. Can't explain why. I did try turning off all other devices using WiFi on my home network and then using WiFi on my Nexus 5 and it worked normally. Turned the other devices back one one at a time and the Nexus 5 kept working normally. Keeping my fingers crosseds.