Battery Sync Sink

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Does the battery sync sink, where your battery drains as the device endlessly tries to sync something apply to all Android phones or just Nexus 5. Specifically, the fast sync sink that show Google Exchange Services and WiFi draining your battery.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've seen that mentioned once or twice before. Do you need Exchange Services? That is, do you have an Exchange email on your Gmail or other email client? If not, try disabling it in Settings>Apps>All​.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I wish I knew. I have an account xxxxxxx@outlook.com that syncs my emails between the Nexus and Outlook 2013, I think. I have that set up as an exchange account. Do you know if it needs to be?

Edit: If I delete the outlook account and try to set it up as a pop3 account I get a warning saying it's an exchange account.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you able to adjust the email sync interval for that account to something less frequent?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The first option is "Push", then "Never" "15 minutes" and on up to "Every Hour".

B. Diddy, do you know if this is a Nexus problem or an Android problem? Do ZTE, LG, and Samsung have the same problem or is it limited to Nexus?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have it set to Push, or some other interval?

I can only say that I don't recall seeing this raised as an issue with other phones--but that's just based on what I see here, and what I read in the major Android blogs.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The default was "push". I changed it to 15 minutes.

The problem occurred after I downloaded an app for classical music but I am aware that correlation does not equal causation. It was absolutely incredible how quickly it could drain a battery. I finally gave up and did a factory restore and then restored apps and data as of 34 days ago. I went in and switched from "push" to "every 15 minutes". So far it's back to it's delightful self. I really like my Nexus except for the battery sync sink and if it happens again I'll be saying hello to something else.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar