Nexus 5 vs Moto G 3rd generation

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
With the various deals being listed for the Nexus 5 ($200-32gb), I'm curious what the owners of this phone feel when compared to the similarly priced Moto G that has different specs. From what I read here the Nexus is not without its issues especially when it comes to build quality and camera.

Since I own a GS3 which hasn't been updated since Kit Kat but still works great I'm wondering if there's any advantage other than getting something newer that also receives updates.

Needless to say the N5 probably won't get another update after Marshmallow right?

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Needless to say the N5 probably won't get another update after Marshmallow right?

Thanks

It's hard to say for sure, but I do know that it will be supported for a few years on XDA forums. The best devs in the world hang out there, and release custom roms with the latest android for a lot of older phones.

The Nexus 5 will be a good solid choice for some time to come. I think there's no comparison between the N5 and Moto G at the same price level. You can get the Nexus 5 32gb for $199 in all colors. Google Nexus 5 D820 (32GB, Red, Unlocked, New) #D820-New-32-RED - Expansys USA

I'd say that for the price, the N5 is a good choice for a lot of people. As a matter of fact, I just ordered the red 32bg model, and it's now my 3rd Nexus 5 . It's a great little powerhouse that's easy to tote around when you don't want a phablet. I'm still going to use my Nexus 6 and just switch back and forth.

Last edited:

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Understood. But the Moto G 32gb also has an SD card slot, Motorola voice controls and gestures and is a current device for $220. From what I read on this forum the build quality of the Nexus suffers as does the camera. As I said my Samsung Galaxy S3 works fine and is unlocked. So the question is still seems unanswered in some respects. I like to be able to play with a phone before I buy which is impossible with either of these choices. Ugh!

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have no problem with the build quality of my Nexus 5 but if you do I'm surprised you bothered asking the question. For me, 32 Gb would be more than enough memory but I don't play games or take photos with the phone.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
What I mentioned where build quality is concerned was from many reviews and forum comments. It also appears the battery barely lasts two years. My GS3 battery is over 3 years and still works fine. Bottom line is am seeking feedback to see if the Nexus is an upgrade or step in reverse. Thanks