Problems with Hangouts since either Marshmallow or a recent hangouts update

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
My phone: Sending photos via MMS no longer allows you to send the comment at the same time. You have to either send a comment first or follow up with a comment. I have not changed any settings and have not found a setting that might control this.

Wife's Nexus 5: Cannot send or receive photos. (Same settings as mine.) Sending a photo fails. When I send her a photo she just gets a message that there is a photo to download. Choosing to download results in the app clocking and then eventually timing out.

Anyone else have either of these issues? If so, have you found a solution?

Thanks!

Note: We are sending via SMS/MMS, not via Hangouts as a Hangouts message would not trigger a notification on my Fitbit Surge or in my car's BT system as they are not true text messages.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does that also happen with other texting apps, like Google Messenger?

I also can't attach a message directly to a photo, but I think that's been the case for a while--can't remember the last time I could send both at the same time.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Does that also happen with other texting apps, like Google Messenger?

I also can't attach a message directly to a photo, but I think that's been the case for a while--can't remember the last time I could send both at the same time.

Hangouts is the only texting app she uses.

Glad to know I am not the only one who cannot send a picture with a message at the same time. I used to be able to. If Google purposely disabled this, I wonder why. Does not really make sense to me.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, I solved her problem.... and mine. Heard that Google may eventually remove SMS and MMS from Hangouts so I switched to the stock Messenger app. Works fine now and I can send a picture and a message at the same time. Good bye Hangouts. I never really knew ye.