Shuts down after 1 or 2min of screen on

Joao Morais

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
hey guys, I'm new here and I'm quite desperate...

My Nexus 5 has been having some issues. Last year I dropped it and the front glass covering the LCD broke. As it didn't affected the digitizer (and I was running a bit low on money) I decided to don't replace it right away. The time passed and it keept working until (something like 10 or 11 months later) it started to shut down by itself, either it had 90% of battery or 15%. As the boot took a bit to complete it shuts down before it gets to the running OS. The only way to avoid this powering offs was to having it pluged in to the charger. At first I thought it was a bug or something like that, so I unrooted it and got the stock vanilla android. 5.1 I think it was by that time. It didn't solve the problem. When the Marshmallow update was available I installed it hoping it could fix the problem but it also didn't work. With two versions of the stock android not solving the problem I concluded it wasn't a software problem and began to think it could be something to do with the broken glass. Maybe it wasn't just the glass that got broken. I bought a replacement for the display and replaced it. But, well, it also didn't solve the problem.

Now I have a neat condition Nexus 5 that keeps shutting down everytime the screen is on for more than one or two minutes.

Anyone that has/had the same problem? Any idea what it may be?

Thanks guys!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The battery itself might be failing, so you could consider replacing it yourself.

Does the phone get very hot before it shuts off?

Joao Morais

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
hey! thanks for the quick reply! I did consider to replace the battery, but not with the porpose of fixing this problem, just to get more stamina.
No, there isn't any kind of thermal increase before it shuts off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A failing battery could certainly cause sudden shutoffs, so it's worth considering a replacement. But it could also be a problem with the Power button or the motherboard itself. My understanding is replacing the battery is relatively straightforward, especially if you already know how to replace the screen.

Joao Morais

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
yeah, I get it, I'll try that out ASAP. But still find it weird to be something on the battery. I'm not sure I explained it before, but this only happens with the screen on. When I just use the phone as an mp3 player or something alike (it's actually what I've been using it for, since it got this problem) it works perfectly, it just needs the screen off...
Still going to check the battery

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh I see--I didn't realize that at first. That is odd. I wonder if something is shorting out.

Joao Morais

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I can't really figure what it may be, and just keeping replacing all the parts will be an expensive solution, (if it does come to a solution).