Messenger can't access Google Photos online?

fxKabab

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm new to android and just got a Nexus 5 and have a question about Google Messenger/Google Photos.

I'm saving all my photos on Google backup in order to preserve storage on my device. And in some apps (like Line), I am able to send pics directly from the online storage, but with Messenger it can't access any photos unless they are saved to the device (local storage).

Is there a way to get around this? Or do I have to manually "download" any photos I want to send prior to sending a mms?
I'm running Android 6.0.1. The phone was used, but it had a factory reset when I bought it, so I don't think there's anything funky going on with 3rd party apps.

Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to... when you select the clip to attach a picture, there should be a GALLERY icon, which should take you to your Phone's Gallery app, which should be able to see Google Photos.

If not, you can also go to the Photos app, select the image you want, and select SHARE. From there you should be able to attach it to an MMS.

fxKabab

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, it only shows me Google Photos stored locally though. I just tested with some 3rd party messenger apps and they let me access the online photos, just Google messenger and hangouts are being stubborn.

Seems the 2nd method works though, just a bit of a detour from sending directly within a messenger app.

Last edited:

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it only shows me Google Photos stored locally though. I just tested with some 3rd party messenger apps and they let me access the online photos, just Google messenger and hangouts are being stubborn.

Seems the 2nd method works though, just a bit of a detour from sending directly within a messenger app.
Please, as per info from google (via google products group), go into each app (Messenger and hangouts) and give feedback. Google rep says that's how the developers decide which functions to consider for the apps. We definitely need this back. The Photos/share 'work-around' is unacceptable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463