Nexus 5 camera stopped working, how can I fix it?

A

AC Question

Nexus 5 camera stopped working

My Nexus 5 (vanilla, Marshmallow, up to date) camera repeatedly gives the ' unfortunately the camera has stopped working' error message. The first couple of times I could briefly see the front camera was displaying (which I rarely use) - now I just get the error message. This was sudden - today. tried reboot, boot into safe mode, clear app cache, delete and reinstall app. Haven't tried factory reset yet - hoping for a suggestion less drastic before I go there.

A

AC Question

Nexus 5 camera stopped working -continued.

I asked the following in another message:

My Nexus 5 (vanilla, Marshmallow, up to date) camera repeatedly gives the ' unfortunately the camera has stopped working' error message. The first couple of times I could briefly see the front camera was displaying (which I rarely use) - now I just get the error message. This was sudden - today. tried reboot, boot into safe mode, clear app cache, delete and reinstall app. Haven't tried factory reset yet - hoping for a suggestion less drastic before I go there.

B. Diddy quickly replied (thanks!) and suggested clearing cache partition. I did so - no joy. Any advice appreciated

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 camera stopped working

Hi again--please consider registering on this forum, so that you can continue the discussion in threads that you start. It's much more efficient, and much easier for others who want to help!:) I merged your two threads here.

Since this happens in Safe Mode as well, it's either an issue with the firmware or hardware. There's not much you can do if it's a hardware problem, besides sending it back to Google/LG for repair or taking it to a local shop. You could try manually reinstalling the firmware, but I think that will wipe your data: How to manually update your Nexus | Android Central

airbowline

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5 camera stopped working

Thanks

I actually had registered on the site previously - i logged back in with my username this time....

I will try what you suggest but I do fear a hardware issue. My microphone went out about a month ago and I went through the 'youtube' fix which involves opening the phone and putting stuff inside (eek!) that many recommend. It worked perfectly (for the microphone) but my monkey business may have had secondary negative effects. Guess I'll never now.

Thanks for your help.