Nexus 5 Still Worth Getting for $150?

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
As a multi-platform smartphone user (personal, and somewhat job related), my best Android phone is currently a Moto X 2013. I just sold my G2, as it worked poorly with Android Auto.
I'm thinking of getting something bigger/better/newer, and of course a Nexus device is highly desirable (based on my past OS upgrade experiences). Is a Nexus 5 still worth getting? Of course I'd rather have a 5X or 6P, but since it's not my main phone, I can't really justify $350-$450.
I'm looking at used Nexus 5's with 32GB, which look like I can get a good condition one for about $150. Am I wasting my money if I do?

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
If it's in good shape, $150 is a decent price. I still pull my N5 out every now and then and play with it. It still runs great and I just updated it to MMB29Q and it runs great. I always liked the N5 but it was just a bit too small for me (I'm 6'8", 300lbs) and have very large hands so i'm much more comfortable with my Nexus 6. But the N5 is an excellent "little" phone.

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I just bought a pristine one for $130 - I guess the worst I may have to do is a battery replacement.
And I even had paypal funds from my recent sales - it's like free - no? ;)

Gerryinbc

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I use mine every day as a second phone (work SIM in it) and its great. I also have a Note 4 which is a personal phone and which I will use for replying to email etc. I have both phones set up exactly the same way with the same email accounts and mostly the same apps so I can use either one as I please. I just answer work calls on the N5 and pack it while I'm on site (construction). I thought about an upgrade to a 5X, but I'd be giving up wireless charging and there's no need because it still works like new. 6.0 has really helped with battery as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

cdubb1

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! I just bought a pristine one for $130 - I guess the worst I may have to do is a battery replacement.
And I even had paypal funds from my recent sales - it's like free - no? ;)
Really good choice. No brainer for the current pricing.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
My own 5, approaching two years old now, never fails to impress me with its smoothness and speed. Still a good choice. :)

Suken_S

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a nexus 5 and using lg g4 currently and i don't see the difference while using it. It is almost as smooth as the one am using. With the apps and everything still on it.

Posted via the Android Central App

boetticher

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
I had a n5, i own a 5x and i still would buy it for even 200€ because i dont feel a real difference between the n5 and the n5x, though the screen on the n5 was a lot more comfortable(just a lil bit smaller)

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd say yes, you might even be able to find refurbished ones on eBay for less. For the money you won't get anything better.

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to follow-up. My $130 used Nexus 5 is "pristine" - look brand new. It was a "wife's phone", but she must have used wireless charging, as there are zero marks indicating missed usb insertions!
Anyways, I'm loving finally have a "pure" device. Best Android Auto experience yet.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
This probably doesn't mean much but if you walked in to my home today and offered me $150 for my Nexus 5, I would politely tell you, "No, thanks." I don't know if a Nexus 5 is worth $150 to you but mine is worth more than that to me.

cdubb1

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
This probably doesn't mean much but if you walked in to my home today and offered me $150 for my Nexus 5, I would politely tell you, "No, thanks." I don't know if a Nexus 5 is worth $150 to you but mine is worth more than that to me.
This.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
With a fresh new battery in it I'm totally loving mine again (save the usual camera focus issues). It'll easily get me another year.

Posted from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

John B6

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Since the Marshmallow version came out I find that not only is the Nexus 5 still as smooth as ever, the battery life is way, way better. I love this phone. You would have to really knock down the price of the Nexus 5x to get me to replace my Nexus 5.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Still available if anyone is looking for one

I just got one off of ebay for $140 last week. I was pleasantly surprised at how pristine a condition it came in. Runs like a dream once I got all of the security and OS updates installed on it. No regrets on this purchase at all.

Cindy

LittleAnna

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Nexus is Nexus, just smooth performance.

On the other side, the camera ist not bad, but also not really good at all, especially if you compare it with current devices.
But if its only your second device, that should be a big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34