Another good reason to keep the Nexus 5 is that it doesn't have USB-C

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Here's yet another reason to keep my Nexus 5 going for at least another year...
"A generation of users who have only ever used micro-USB to charge their phones and accessories have made a terrible discovery: not all USB-C cables are created equally, and some of them can do serious damage to your hardware. While you can always rely on the cables that come in the box, and should use those cables any chance you get, you probably need more than one. It's not obvious by looking at these cables which is good or bad, and the companies selling these cables on Amazon aren't all that interested in confirming their products are safe for the massive array of things you can use with USB-C."
This USB-C problem isn't going away anytime soon | Android Central

pirateghostabc

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Sounds really dumb but I agree 100% with you. I started counting all the existing cables I would have to replace, over a dozen easy, and I just thought what a PITA. Besides, the N5 is still a great phone.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The USB board invented USB-C to increase the cost to consumers and put more money in their pockets. For phones and tablets, there is nothing wrong with mini USB. Fast charging circuitry is built into the phone and handshakes with the charger. The intervening cable should have nothing to do with it... it's just a bunch of wires. "Wait... lets put a chip in the cable... then we can call it an improvement and force consumers to buy more expensive cables!" Shameless! Standard? New Standard?? USB-A was a standard, then mini-USB became a standard, now USB-C is the "new" standard. These guys will standard they're brains out... at our expense! It's a farce... all of it!

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Sounds really dumb but I agree 100% with you. I started counting all the existing cables I would have to replace, over a dozen easy, and I just thought what a PITA. Besides, the N5 is still a great phone.

For me, it wouldn't just be a matter of replacing a lot of cables, including the one in my car, but adding to. I would still have two Kindles that need the old style connector. Add to that the fact that all USB cables aren't the same and I'd need to keep my origninal Kindle cables separate to I could update the Kindle by USB. I don't see this as a positive step.

I like wireless charging.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
The lack of QI charging in the new Nexus phones is the primary reason I am sticking with my Nexus 5 as is my wife. These phones still work well for our needs.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
The lack of QI charging in the new Nexus phones is the primary reason I am sticking with my Nexus 5 as is my wife. These phones still work well for our needs.

Bingo. I love QI charging and have no interest in a phone that doesn't support it. I am angry with Google for not making this a standard inclusion in the 5X. *STUPID*

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
USB C is clearly the future.... But I live in the present so... I'm happy to wait.

Posted from the ghost of my HTC Aria via Android Central App