Nexus 5: screen not responding

BigBugger

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone:

I have a 2014 Nexus 5 and somewhat out of the blue the screen has totally stopped responding: literally no response at all as I move my finger across the screen.

I reboot the phone and the phone is still completely non-responsive to moving my finger on the screen (I have cleaned the screen and nothing; also the phone was not dropped the best of my knowledge--definitely no cracks or chip; did not get put in water except sweat from my face; I have no screen protector and have taken it out of its case; all side buttons like power and volume work normally). I should have added that the phone is responsive in the sense that the lockscreen updates when no activity occurs (phone calls, emails, etc)

I assume this means the digitizer is shot. But what is strange is if when I hit the power off button on the right, I can hit the power off pop-up on my screen and it turns off (I can also long hit it and get it to reboot to safe mode, which I have tried and still the same no response)! Yet hitting that exact same spot when it is on the lock screen does nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can give more infos if that would help of course

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Seems strange that the screen works for the power off overlay, but nothing else. Have you tried a cache clear in recovery?

Magnarider

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Have you activated the talkback functioneren by mistake? Maybe the flat cable of the digitizer came loose. Open the Back ( it is not that complicated) and reseat the flat cable to digitizer or check the connector.
Grtz
Nico

BigBugger

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Ah thanks Nico! I tried but alas no luck.

The phone has recovered a bit but still some odd behavior (one spontaneous reboot and lost all open chrome tabs despite the syncing with google).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781