Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,935 Global Posts

Default Nexus 6/Shamu by Motorola?

Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    7,478 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Nexus 6/Shamu by Motorola?

Thanked by 2:
    JohnlyRy 
    Ry likes this.

Same rumor as last year with the n5. I dont see moto making one. I assume it will be lg again.
    ConTejas likes this.

Global Posts
    23,907 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Still exciting either way!

Phone Timeline
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

Quote Originally Posted by smooth3006 View Post
    Same rumor as last year with the n5. I dont see moto making one. I assume it will be lg again.
    I think this is more concrete than last year.

Just don't want a 5.9" phone as my daily driver.
    Thanked by 2:

Default Re: Moto Shamu -A Nexus Phone

I would love to see a Nexus phone with that big of a screen.

Yeah, I read something on Android Police that specifically said "Nexus Phablet" - which leads me to believe this would be the middle sized Nexus device this year. With a smaller Nexus 6 and then the Nexus 8-9. I think it sounds awesome to have some options like this, should these rumors be true.

If this is true, I hope they continue to sell or refresh the Nexus 5. Having the only Nexus phone be a phablet is not the best move, in my opinion.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    If this is true, I hope they continue to sell or refresh the Nexus 5. Having the only Nexus phone be a phablet is not the best move, in my opinion.
    Like I said above (and this is just my speculation, so take it for what it's worth) - I think they're doing three devices. A Nexus 5-ish phone, a Nexus Phablet (Shamu), and a Nexus 8-9. Everything appears to be in line with the Nexus 7 being done, so the Phablet could fill that void, as well as be a reference device for the other Phablets out there.
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.

If Shamu = Nexus 6

5.9 inch QHD Display
    Snapdragon 805 with 3GB RAM
    13 MP (Rear) and 2 MP (Front)
    Front Facing Speakers
    16GB & 32GB
    3000-3300 mAh Battery

If Shamu is just another Moto device:

5.9 inch 1080p Display
    Snapdragon 801 with 2GB RAM
    13 MP (Rear) and 2 MP (Front)
    Front Facing Speakers
    16GB & 32GB
    3000-3300 mAh Battery
    Thanked by:
    Nchaka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido View Post
    I'm expecting this phablet to be a beast:

5.9 inch QHD display
    TEGRA K1 with 3 GB RAM
    13 MP OIS Camera
    32 GB & 64 GB
    3600 mAh battery
    Highly doubt it. That's pretty much identical specs to the Volantis.

Posted via Android Central App

5.9 inch QHD display
    TEGRA K1 with 3 GB RAM
    13 MP OIS Camera
    32 GB & 64 GB
    3600 mAh battery
    If so it will unfortunately be expensive. What will they put in the traditionally affordable Nexus 5 successor then...for example, will they go with QHD, not really worthwhile in anything other than a big display...and its the phablet that will have the big display, so why bother with it on anything much smaller? Hmmm...it's all very interesting...and I can't help feeling Google may have something up their sleeve we haven't thought of, that will surprise us.

Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    7,478 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Thread cleaned. Please try to keep things on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by macroguy07 View Post
    Man it hurt my heart when I saw that might be picking up the G3 if this is true......im sitting on my upgrade now

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

If moto is making the next Nexus phone I can only hope it will be available for VZW.

Quote Originally Posted by macroguy07 View Post
    Yeah, I'm hoping that's not true. 5.5" with very thin bezels is about my limit.
    Rick Bell likes this.

That big of a screen is too much unless its same foot print or slightly bigger. 5"-5.5" is my max

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,935 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Duke View Post
    If moto is making the next Nexus phone I can only hope it will be available for VZW.
    Good luck.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Duke View Post
    That has nothing to do with who makes it... it is up to Verizon to allow unbloated, unlocked devices on their network. Google won't even allow them to slap their VZW/LTE logos all over the thing. But I think we might see that soon though... .VZW allowed the Nexus 7 on their network.... and I hear rumors that they will be allowing the next Nexus phone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    Like I said above (and this is just my speculation, so take it for what it's worth) - I think they're doing three devices. A Nexus 5-ish phone, a Nexus Phablet (Shamu), and a Nexus 8-9. Everything appears to be in line with the Nexus 7 being done, so the Phablet could fill that void, as well as be a reference device for the other Phablets out there.
    That's EXACTLY what they are doing. This fall, we might see a double whammy of a 6' phablet and a 8.9' tablet. Why no Nexus 5 replacement? Well, it doesn't make sense right now. Why? ok...

The small tablet market is shrinking a little bit.... the market is shifting those 6' ish 'phablets' that people seem so quick to deride. Problem is that they are popular... very popular, especially in Asian markets. So for a device that many here seem to dump on, people are sure buying a lot of them and phablet sales have taken a sizable chunk out of the small tablet market. If these specs are on point, that device will drop right into the thick of a very hot portion of the market, 'replacing' the Nexus 7. And then the larger tablet (possible from HTC) will fill the larger tablet void without traveling up into the 10'+ tablet no-man's land... a segment that everyone may concede to those Surface/Chromebook devices.

So where does that leave the Nexus 5? Well, right where it is, for now. Why replace it? Because upgrade? First, performance gains have plateau'd a little bit recently. New phones are only incrementally more powerful than those released about a year ago. The Nexus 5 still holds its own up against phones like the M8, S5 and even the G3. Why push out a slightly up-rated phone now when you can let the current Nexus 5 soak a little longer and replace it in 2015 with something that is more than just a refresh? Just because we might not get a 'smaller' Nexus phone this fall doesn't mean we WON'T get a Nexus 5 replacement. The Nexus 7/10 line is in far greater need for replacement and a 6' phablet 9' tablet combo fills that void if you ask me.

After all, people kind of dumped on Samsung for upgrading just for the sake of upgrading (*cough* S4 *cough*).
    Thanked by 2:

I bet they could squeeze a 5.9 inch screen into a similarly sized device as the Note 3 with a thinner bezel.... I love my Nexus 5... Why not just upgrade the current Nexus 5 with a bigger battery and a few other mild upgrades and keep it out there.... With a 5.9 inch phone I'd dump my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 and just use that... I had been looking at the Oneplus One until they kept running their games.. Thought about the G3 or the Note 4 when it launches later in the year.. I just don't care for the overlay software... I was rooted on my EVO and GS3 but I just love the Nexus line so I don't have to be rooted and can be stock Android.... So a Nexus 6 with a 5.9 screen would be awesome.... I had been hoping they'd at least go 5.5 on the next Nexus device....

and if Moto is making it battery life should be pretty stellar.... (Hopefully) based on their history with battery life... Just depend completely on final specs but so far from the sound of it I am in...
    Nexus 6, 64 GB Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie317 View Post
    Why not just upgrade the current Nexus 5 with a bigger battery and a few other mild upgrades and keep it out there....
    Might not be cost effective. Any significant change would require a fair amount of fiddling to the production line, changes in the supply chain, etc, new chassis components, etc. Unless the new part fits in the EXACT same place as the previous one, there will be a domino effect in terms of R&D effort. And keep in mind that Google doesn't build these, LG does, so that adds another level of complexity if things need modification.

5.9 inch QHD display
    Snapdragon 805 with 3 GB RAM
    13 MP OIS Camera
    32 GB & 64 GB
    3200-3600 mAh battery
    I think 1080p would be more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    Might not be cost effective. Any significant change would require a fair amount of fiddling to the production line, changes in the supply chain, etc, new chassis components, etc. Unless the new part fits in the EXACT same place as the previous one, there will be a domino effect in terms of R&D effort. And keep in mind that Google doesn't build these, LG does, so that adds another level of complexity if things need modification.
    should be relatively easy to upgrade to a bigger battery.... It's somewhat easy to do on your own to upgrade to a slightly bigger battery (If your not nervous with snapping the back off and removing a few screws to get the replacement in place) if they went with a considerably bigger battery you're right you'd need to upgrade the chassis a little to accommodate the larger battery... and YES LG would have to be involved since they do the MFG process...

If rumors and quotes are to be believed LG is not aware of who is doing the next Nexus phone so at this point in the game you'd think they would have been told they would like to refresh the current model and upgrade some components to release it as a 2014 Nexus 5. (like the 2013 Nexus 7)

Maybe they just leave the Nexus 5 alone and on the market along side a Nexus 6 and a new tablet.... It's not like the Nexus 5 in it's current form is an old worn out device... It's still way closer to the top of the eco system than it is to the bottom.... again reading the news the true next generation 64 bit snapdragon chips are going to be ready until 2015.... I think next year we will see a much larger leap in technology vs 2014 vs 2013....
    Nexus 6, 64 GB Midnight Blue
    LeoRex likes this.
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast