Should I wait for the Nexus 6 or should I buy the Nexus 5 now?

babin101

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I really want the Nexus 6, but the screen is supposed to be 5.9"; that is way to big of a screen for me. Google also always kills off the old Nexus device before the new one comes out. Should I buy the Nexus 5 now, or wait for the Nexus 6?

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I'd go w the 5 now, the 6 really doesn't have much confirmation. The 4 is still running strong w updates being that it's over I believe 2 years old.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

babin101

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I worried about is the phone becoming very unstable, and glitchy after a couple of year like my current Android smartphone does.Will the Nexus 5 do that, or is it a better idea to wait for the Nexus 6 and get more RAM and stuff.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd go w the 5 now, the 6 really doesn't have much confirmation. The 4 is still running strong w updates being that it's over I believe 2 years old.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕������

I am inclined to agree. I think the Nex5 will last a while.

The only thing I worried about is the phone becoming very unstable, and glitchy after a couple of year like my current Android smartphone does.Will the Nexus 5 do that, or is it a better idea to wait for the Nexus 6 and get more RAM and stuff.
Depends on what your current phone is. As for RAM, Android doesn't use RAM like a PC does.

Flow39

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I really want the Nexus 6, but the screen is supposed to be 5.9"; that is way to big of a screen for me. Google also always kills off the old Nexus device before the new one comes out. Should I buy the Nexus 5 now, or wait for the Nexus 6?

I think the rumor of a 5.9" screen is kinda sketchy, but anyways, I would say the Nexus 5 is a great phone to buy right now still. It is still a very powerful phone even a year after its release.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I just bought one a week ago and I have no complaints. I'm really enjoying it.

Posted via the Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Do you need a phone now? The Nexus 5 is still a top performing phone and my daily driver. Love it! If you have a good device now, I would wait to hear more but if you need one now get it. Some good deals on swappa also.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Should we expect much change? Maybe they'll round the curves a little bit: bigger battery, better processor, better screen, better camera, etc.

Sure cameras are getting better, but it comes at a cost. We're not seeing increased storage space being offered. Just the same 16/32 gb phones as usual. Even processors have sort of hit a plateau: energy savings over performance improvements nowadays.

jonvdw

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I would wait for the official specs to come out. If the screen really is going to be 6inches,go for the n5.

Posted via Android Central App

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

Given the fact that mobile technology has been somewhat stagnant since last year and with the latest iteration of Android having substantial improvements in performance, getting the Nexus 5 is still a very good idea.

In fact I was a bit hesitant and shared the same concerns as you but I bought the Nexus 5 just over two weeks ago and haven't regretted doing so.

The Snapdragon 800 powering the Nexus 5 still manages to match or beat most flagships of 2014 because Android doesn't need beastly specs to run smoothly anymore.

Even the dual core Moto X performs exceptionally well.

I know that reviewers will tell you about Nexus 5 having a terrible camera and battery, there is little truth to it.

While battery life leaves a bit to be desired I imagine the Android L release to fix that but as far as camera performance goes, it is spectacular especially after the Android 4.4.1 update. I could share some photos I took, if you want.

The only other thing worth mentioning is that speaker quality in some apps can be a bit dissapointing but it's by no means bad.

In fact people say that Nexus 5 may continue to sell alongside the Nexus 6 and maybe that's why Google for the first time launched a developer preview for Nexus 5.

Anyways go for Nexus 5, still an amazing device.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
If you *need* a new phone right now - get the Nexus 5
If you just *want* a new phone right now - Wait for the Nexus 6

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

babin101

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. Also, the Nexus 5 is now "out of stock" on Google Play. I doubt that, I just think they are wanting people to wait for the Nexus 6 now.

RizaHawkeye

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Given the fact that mobile technology has been somewhat stagnant since last year and with the latest iteration of Android having substantial improvements in performance, getting the Nexus 5 is still a very good idea.

In fact I was a bit hesitant and shared the same concerns as you but I bought the Nexus 5 just over two weeks ago and haven't regretted doing so.

The Snapdragon 800 powering the Nexus 5 still manages to match or beat most flagships of 2014 because Android doesn't need beastly specs to run smoothly anymore.

Even the dual core Moto X performs exceptionally well.

I know that reviewers will tell you about Nexus 5 having a terrible camera and battery, there is little truth to it.

While battery life leaves a bit to be desired I imagine the Android L release to fix that but as far as camera performance goes, it is spectacular especially after the Android 4.4.1 update. I could share some photos I took, if you want.

The only other thing worth mentioning is that speaker quality in some apps can be a bit dissapointing but it's by no means bad.

In fact people say that Nexus 5 may continue to sell alongside the Nexus 6 and maybe that's why Google for the first time launched a developer preview for Nexus 5.

Anyways go for Nexus 5, still an amazing device.

Seconded, as I'm too lazy to type right now. I bought one 6 weeks ago and I don't regret it at all.

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I doubt the next Nexus will have a 5.9" screen. Even the Note only has a 5.7" screen, and I think Samsung have been smart not to push that; every 6" phone I've seen looks laughably large. There's only ever been one Nexus phone per year, I think Google tries to keep it the size where most people are comfortable, and I don't think that's 6".

I use a Nexus 5, and I love it. It does what I need it to do, which is to be fast, lightweight (both in physical size and in software performance), easy to hold (not too big), and basically just perform when I need it to. For example: if I'm in line at Target, and I want to pull up their Cartwheel coupons site to check if the item I'm buying has any discounts, and I'm about to get to the checker in less than 1 minute, I need a phone that's fast enough to bust out with one hand, pull up the site quickly, allow me to type with one hand, get it done and put it away in my pocket again. The Nexus 5 has succeeded for me in this task (and others like it) too many times to count. I can't necessarily say that I could do that with a large phone, a bloated laggy phone, or a phone running a custom ROM (my last phone certainly couldn't). If I want a big pretty screen and great stereo sound I'll use my tablet.

Anyway, I guess I'm just trying to say I've begun to transcend the specs and focus on what I really want from my phone. :D
Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma