Nexus 6 and New Moto Apps

Theolodin

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Hello All,

I had a question regarding the rumored Nexus 6.

If the rumors hold true and Motorola is the one making the phone would the new apps/features from Motorola, which were introduced on the new Moto X, like Moto Assist, Moto Display, Moto Actions, and Moto Voice be available (either already installed or downloadable) on the Nexus 6?

I am a really big fan of the new Moto X and its features but I would love to get my first Nexus phone.

I know that the Nexus is still really a rumor, but has that happened before with other Nexus phones an features/apps that the manufacturer created?

Thank you in advance for the responses!

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello All,

I had a question regarding the rumored Nexus 6.

If the rumors hold true and Motorola is the one making the phone would the new apps/features from Motorola, which were introduced on the new Moto X, like Moto Assist, Moto Display, Moto Actions, and Moto Voice be available (either already installed or downloadable) on the Nexus 6?

I am a really big fan of the new Moto X and its features but I would love to get my first Nexus phone.

I know that the Nexus is still really a rumor, but has that happened before with other Nexus phones an features/apps that the manufacturer created?

Thank you in advance for the responses!

I doubt they would.

Look at the Moto G GPe. Though the Motorola apps are in the Play Store, they can't be downloaded through the Play Store onto the Moto G GPe.

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I doubt they would.

Look at the Moto G GPe. Though the Motorola apps are in the Play Store, they can't be downloaded through the Play Store onto the Moto G GPe.
Does the standard moto g have active notifications and whatnot? Does it work on the gpe if it's sideloaded? Or is there missing framework?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does the standard moto g have active notifications and whatnot? Does it work on the gpe if it's sideloaded? Or is there missing framework?

The Moto G does not support Active Notifications/Moto Display. It does however support Motorola Assist, Motorola Alert, Motorola Camera, Motorola Galley and Trusted Bluetooth.

I'm not sure how well they work (if at all) if sideloaded.

Another fun fact: the non-GPe Moto Gs use F2FS (Flash Friendly File System) for user data while the GPe uses ext4 like almost every other current Android device.

More on F2FS -
AnandTech | Moto X Review
AnandTech | Motorola Moto G Review
Google Play edition Moto G drops F2FS, but a… | Moto G | XDA Forums

Theolodin

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
For me I am trying to decide between the Nexus 6 or the Moto X. I love all of the features on the X and it is very close to stock android, but on the other hand the Nexus is a Nexus and from some of the rumors the specs on the Nexus sound great.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For me I am trying to decide between the Nexus 6 or the Moto X. I love all of the features on the X and it is very close to stock android, but on the other hand the Nexus is a Nexus and from some of the rumors the specs on the Nexus sound great.

The Nexus "6" hasn't even been announced yet. I wouldn't make any decisions based on rumors.

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Depends if you like the Moto X echo system or total Stock Android
Any nexus phone only comes with what Google want on, Moto apps are only available for Motorola phones this is why they don't work on any other devices

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For what its worth, the recent Nexus devices have been more pure Google, which isn't exactly the same as pure Android.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto G)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Google now launcher (before it was available to everyone ), the search enabled dialer, photo sphere. At least that's what I assume was meant

Yep. That and more.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

flattie

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Highly doubtful. The Nexus devices have never featured any OS or application additions from the manufacturer; unless Google's policy is set to change, I seriously doubt we'll see any of the Moto stuff coming over, regardless of the desirability.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Until Moto incorporates a way to use these features with a locked phone (voice print, facial recognition,...) they are useless to me, even though they are very slick.

Now that all of the flagship phones have the ability to have always listening, Google needs to bake it into android.

Makai5

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I own a Nexus 5, But I can't decided if getting a Moto X is redundant? or if I should just wait to see if a Nexus 6 will come out?
anyone have both? or have any good suggestions

pchadri

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and had a moto X 1st gen for a while that I returned to await the 2nd gen.
I can say that you should not have both.
1st Gen Moto X has a great user experience but horrible specs.
Nexus 5 has better specs but its user experience is not as good (Let's be honest, useless)

Which brings me to this forum. The Moto X 2014 is an upgrade in specs, but the Nexus 6 is more future proof.
I am honestly not a fan of Vanilla android and prefer the modifications that motorola has made.
Can I get them onto the motorola made Nexus 6?

I can live without changing the "Ok Google!" wake-up phrase to "Ok Jarvis!" but moto assist, I need that.

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and had a moto X 1st gen for a while that I returned to await the 2nd gen.
I can say that you should not have both.
1st Gen Moto X has a great user experience but horrible specs.
Nexus 5 has better specs but its user experience is not as good (Let's be honest, useless)

Which brings me to this forum. The Moto X 2014 is an upgrade in specs, but the Nexus 6 is more future proof.
I am honestly not a fan of Vanilla android and prefer the modifications that motorola has made.
Can I get them onto the motorola made Nexus 6?

I can live without changing the "Ok Google!" wake-up phrase to "Ok Jarvis!" but moto assist, I need that.

What exactly does moto assist do that you need?