I thought the new Nexus processor would support 64-bit processing?

mattshow

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If the new specs are true, doesn't this mean that we will have to wait another year for a Google branded device to support 64-bit processing based on the ARMv8 chip architecture? I thought the Snapdragon 805 doesn't support this... Or am I confused? I just want better battery life and this seems to be the solution.

Posted via Android Central App

PFKMan23

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
You are correct that the 2015 Nexus device, if that comes, will be the first Nexus device to have a 64 bit SoC. The 805 is the last 32 bit.

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The k1 isn't ready for phones yet and I'm not sure the 810 is in production. The N9 is 64 bit tho

Android Central said on their pod cast a few weeks ago the K1 CPU will never be in a phone since it uses too much power and puts out too much heat. They even joked it would need a large heat sink to cool it that wouldn't fit in a phone.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
They could go with an Exynos 64 bit chip, which is high quality and in production, but I doubt they will. All signs point to an 805

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
You are correct that the 2015 Nexus device, if that comes, will be the first Nexus device to have a 64 bit SoC. The 805 is the last 32 bit.

The Nexus 9 tablet is rumoured to have the Tegra K1 processor, which is a 64bit chip, which would make that the first Nexus device with a 64bit processor.

And I don't see why everyone is hung up on 64bit processors. Just because Android L is compatible with 64bit processors, doesn't mean Google have to immediately get a 64bit processor in all their Nexus devices.

Snapdragon 805 is an extremely beastly chip. I have no issues with that being the Nexus 6 processor.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Plus, what benefit would we get going to 64?

Desktop class apps are mostly 32 bit still, other than enterprise stuff like databases... And Cpus been 64 for several years now. But the main driver there was the ability to address more than 4G of RAM.

The SD801 is crazy quick, 805 even more. 64bit is more a buzzword than a real need at this point.

Processor speed isn't a problem. Power efficiency and heat are more pressing issues... And that Tegra isn't exactly miserly on either account. Hence their presence on only tablets, where larger batteries and better heat dissipation are available.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz