N5 2014 Launching Alongside The N6?

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
While I think that would be wise of them to do, wasn't there something stated somewhere that said they N5 are no longer in production. If that is true, that would squash that idea...

flippedout

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
For Moto I don't see this as cannibalizing potential sales of the X or whatever their branded version of the Shamu is/might be. When Jane and Joe Q Public go to buy a smartphone where do the go? To the carrier or Wallmart or Best Buy, etc. How many of those carry/promo a Nexus phone front and center with all of the other devices? None. The closest is Google's kiosk at BB but again I don't think the general public thinks to go there for a phone. They especially don't equate the Play Store as a place to go buy a phone, especially if they can't feel/touch it.

The Shamu is a niche product. Granted the Note has sold millions but when you factor in my points above, the Shamu is truly niche. Google and Moto know this. On AAA this week Jerry mentioned a really good point. The new 64 bit SoC isn't available until 2015 in mass quantities. That is when we are likely to see a 5.2 ish Nexus device - when it can truly harness the changes L brings to Android and, hopefully, by that time developers will start making apps that take advantage of 64bit.

Right or wrong or somewhere in between...my 2 cents.

IHaveDrainBamage

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Definitely, specs wise the N5 is fine as-is. Also, LG stated that they are not making the next Nexus phone, so I would assume that an updated N5 would be considered a new phone, but a regular N5 with more storage wouldn't be.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
If the next Nexus phone(s) is/are made by Motorola as commonly rumored, why would Motorola cannibalize sales of the Moto X by producing an improved Nexus version? Who says Google must carry an updated Nexus the same size as the 5? Why not just keep selling the Nexus 5? They never updated the Nexus 10, after all (although it sounds like the rumored HTC Nexus 9 may finally be that tablet's replacement). Anyone have a link confirming that production of the Nexus 5 has stopped?

Perhaps the 5.2 isn't actually a Nexus, but rather an updated "Extreme" Moto X GPE?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps the 5.2 isn't actually a Nexus, but rather an updated "Extreme" Moto X GPE?

Possible, but still doesn't make much sense to me for Motorola to do that. It seems more likely that the replacement for the N5 will come next year, once 64-bit chips are widely available. Google will just continue to sell the N5 until then.

But this is all conjecture based on rumors, and I could be totally wrong. I'm certainly not privy to Moto's and Google's strategies. We'll find out before too long.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I wonder why they are out of stock of the red and whites nexus 5's in the play store and if this indicates that they wont be selling the n5 anymore?