A big Nexus 6 might be a big mistake for Google

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Interesting maybe but too bad the author has not a clue about Nexus devices. He assumes Google wants to sell alot of them and that is far from even being in the same league as correct. Google could care less how many they sell. The Nexus is not a consumer product it is a tool for professionals that consumers buy as an android toy for the most part. If Google had a Nexus that started to sell in large numbers it would be a debacle. Because they are normally sold below cost so Google would start hemorrhaging cash.

It really is sad that this day in age reporters with less knowledge are more popular. It is really hurting the general IQ of the public.

Last edited:

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
If Google produces a large quantities of the Nexus phones, they would be competing with their customers. That's not the intent of Google devices

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Haven't read the article yet... But how is a phablet reference device for developers a bad thing? Phones are getting larger there is no denying that. Plus I think the Nexus brand is moving more towards a consumer brand as well at least in the tablet market.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Interesting maybe but too bad the author has not a clue about Nexus devices. He assumes Google wants to sell alot of them and that is far from even being in the same league as correct. Google could care less how many they sell. The Nexus is not a consumer product it is a tool for professionals that consumers buy as an android toy for the most part. If Google had a Nexus that started to sell in large numbers it would be a debacle. Because they are normally sold below cost so Google would start hemorrhaging cash.

It really is sad that this day in age reporters with less knowledge are more popular. It is really hurting the general IQ of the public.

Hemorrhaging cash? You do know that Google's most recent financial report said they had $60 BILLION + in cash on hand.... They could make say 20 million units at say $400 each and not sell a single unit and "Only" be out $8 billion... Leaving them with $52 BILLION + in cash on hand..... and that wouldn't include the $16 Billion in revenue and $4 billion in profits they had in the last quarter (3 months... April, May and June) They'd have to make this mistake every year for about 10 years while breaking even on the rest of their business just to deplete their current cash on hand....

My GUESS is on a device this big they wouldn't even make 5 million units up front and would still at least sell 1 - 2 million without much problem and worse case could cut bait and sell the remaining inventory at a deep deep discount and MAYBE be out $100 million... which is chump change for Google.... (They also reported $145 million in interest alone on the $60 billion in cash for the quarter)

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
And I say that a 6" Nexus 6 could be a huge win for Google. They build Nexus devices for a specific reason, not for the masses. The phablet is becoming a big player in the phone arena now. Especially business minded users. It makes perfect sense for Google to want to get a device out there for dev's to work with. If they already have a Nexus 5 and they get a Nexus 6, then they have all their potential client bases covered. And like the others are pointing out, the Nexus has never been a device that was meant to be sold en masse. It has always been a niche market with select few who own them comparable to the Samsungs, HTCs, and LGs of the world. When I use my Nexus 5 to pay for things through google wallet I always get asked how I did that and what phone is that. Nobody knows what is a Nexus is in the majority of the country.

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I went to the apple store to hold a 6+ not to buy but to feel since the nexus 6 will be near that size. While its a lot different I may give it a shot.

I love stock android I made a phone call on my wife's note and touchwiz made my finger tips burn. So that along with a bigger batter and hopefully a better camera ( new api and ois) I may give this a shot. The only other choice is a G3 or a 1+1 and if I get those I'm damn there at 6

Posted via the Android Central App

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
From the SlashGear article in the OP:

If — and that’s still a big “IF” — Google and Motorola deliver on a 6-inch Nexus 6, it’s going to be a tough sell. Not only do they need to find a way to convince a public uninterested in a massive smartphone to buy one, but they probably need to diversify their existing and popular Nexus lineup.

That's so out of touch -- the market for phablets is red hot. Google will have no trouble selling a 6" Nexus. The problem is more likely to be on the other side -- demand exceeds supply and not everybody who wants one will be able to buy one right away.

The point of the article is that Google is making a mistake because they're misreading consumer preferences. There's no doubt in my mind that a Nexus phablet will sell. The only way Google could blow it is by not marketing a more normal-sized phone as an alternative -- either keeping the current Nexus 5 or an updated version of it -- and I think they'll continue to sell one of those.

E Murray

May 9, 2014
Visit site
You can tell within the first few words that this author isn't impartial at all. He instantly shows his distaste for the 6" phablet. It's really interesting why some "journalist's" can no longer write non-judgmental, impartial and non biased reviews of anything. To me, this article could also be a page of his personal journal. On top of that, he shows how little he knows about Google and ignores that there is a demand for 5"+ smartphones.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Being a reference device aside for Google's Android experience, it always felt like a halfhearted attempt for a mass consumer product. Not in product execution but mainly in marketing. Being a phablet this go around will make little difference to the market at large. Now that Apple themselves have come out with bigger phones, I think the idea of a massive device as the author mentions will be more widely accepted.

Take it in folks, big phones are here for the long haul.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Hemorrhaging cash? You do know that Google's most recent financial report said they had $60 BILLION + in cash on hand.... They could make say 20 million units at say $400 each and not sell a single unit and "Only" be out $8 billion... Leaving them with $52 BILLION + in cash on hand..... and that wouldn't include the $16 Billion in revenue and $4 billion in profits they had in the last quarter (3 months... April, May and June) They'd have to make this mistake every year for about 10 years while breaking even on the rest of their business just to deplete their current cash on hand....

My GUESS is on a device this big they wouldn't even make 5 million units up front and would still at least sell 1 - 2 million without much problem and worse case could cut bait and sell the remaining inventory at a deep deep discount and MAYBE be out $100 million... which is chump change for Google.... (They also reported $145 million in interest alone on the $60 billion in cash for the quarter)

I really have no clue what your point is. Are you trying to say it is a good business practice to lose money or because they have alot of money it is a good idea to try and lose some of it?

You do understand that hemorrhage just meant lose and not death from the lose right?

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I went to the apple store to hold a 6+ not to buy but to feel since the nexus 6 will be near that size. While its a lot different I may give it a shot.

I love stock android I made a phone call on my wife's note and touchwiz made my finger tips burn. So that along with a bigger batter and hopefully a better camera ( new api and ois) I may give this a shot. The only other choice is a G3 or a 1+1 and if I get those I'm damn there at 6

A G3 is not anywhere near the dimensions of a 6". With the minimal bezels it's about the same size as my s5.

Posted via Android Central App

techloebf

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
If the rumors are true, the most disappointing thing will be the Nexus 6 is not the flagship standard by which other manufacturers were to build to. Almost like the chromebook pixel was to the rest of the chromebook world. I was hoping it would be that killer android phone, snapdragon 805 or even newer 64bit stuff with 3-4 GB ram, SD card, 2K screen, FM radio, etc. Looking for Google to give us the end all be all of android phones, then the rest if the manufacturers fall in somewhere short of that.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If Google had a Nexus that started to sell in large numbers it would be a debacle. Because they are normally sold below cost so Google would start hemorrhaging cash.

This was my point..... Google would gladly deal with selling "Too many" devices..... even at a minimal loss or break even.... I was pointing out in order for them to be hemorrhaging cash they'd need to be building and not selling 2, 3 or 4 times the number of iPhones Apple reported selling the first weekend......

Point being with $60 billion in cash on hand... If they sold say 50 million Nexus 6 device at say a "LOSS" of $100 per device that is only $5 billion........ or 100 million Nexus 6 under the same numbers that is $10 billion.... They profit around $3.6 billion per quarter (That is $14 billion a year roughly) so they would still be "Ahead" for the year roughly $4 billion..... with 100 million more Android devices out in the wild generating more ad revenue/income......

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
A G3 is not anywhere near the dimensions of a 6". With the minimal bezels it's about the same size as my s5.

Posted via Android Central App

Its a 5.5 inches in a minimal frame. Moto does something somewhat similar keeping the over all foot print not much bigger than the screen. To me if I went with a phone that's 5.5 the half inch doesn't seems as if its going to be a big deal

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a developer, not even root, just a common 58 years old man with a Nexus 5. No matter the size I will get the Nexus 6 because no way back to phone manufacturers and AT&T bloatware. Before my Nexus 5 phone I used HTC ONE X , HTC ONE X+, HTC ONE ( M 7 ), LG G2, all of them at AT&T. The best and fast phone is my current Nexus 5. So if the next Nexus 6 is a 5.92 I will be an old man with a big phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Interesting maybe but too bad the author has not a clue about Nexus devices. He assumes Google wants to sell alot of them and that is far from even being in the same league as correct. Google could care less how many they sell. The Nexus is not a consumer product it is a tool for professionals that consumers buy as an android toy for the most part.

The concept of Nexus being a developers device is long over. True with the first Nexuses but the Galaxy Nexus, N4, and N5 were all consumer oriented. Not as mainstream as Samsung but still aimed at the consumer crowd.

And I say that a 6" Nexus 6 could be a huge win for Google. They build Nexus devices for a specific reason, not for the masses. The phablet is becoming a big player in the phone arena now.

And a recent poll here in AC had 70%+ I believe, say that 6" is too big. And AC readers are more wont than the average population to buy the Nexus line.

From the SlashGear article in the OP:

That's so out of touch -- the market for phablets is red hot.

The Samsung Note will be out before the N6. I imagine a lot of that market will purchase the Note. How many customers will that leave for the N6, assuming it is a phablet?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Two years ago or possibly even less, we were probably all saying the same thing about 5" phones. I never dreamed I'd ever own one so large. Now I own the Nexus 5 and would consider the Nexus 6 at 5.9" but I'm torn.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12