The Nexus 6 isn't as big as you guys think.!

SupersoNick_95

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Google Nexus 6: Size Comparison - To Other Smartp…: Google Nexus 6: Size Comparison - To Other Smartphones (Mockup) - YouTube

In this video you can see that the Nexus 6 is about exactly the same size as the note 3. While this representation may not be that accurate, I'm confident that moto and Google will be able to keep the upper and lower bezels trim enough so that the phones screen size fits well into the body.

Posted via the Android Central App

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Lots of people love the Note series of phones. The iPhone 6+ is hugely popular.

What is the big deal about a 5.9" screen in a body that is slightly bigger than a Note 4? I think the concerns about the screen size are hugely overblown and the phone will be a huge success.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Comparing it to other huge phones just cements my decision. I've owned a note 1 and 2 and it was big clumsy phone that couldn't be operated by one hand despite software tricks.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Comparing it to other huge phones just cements my decision. I've owned a note 1 and 2 and it was big clumsy phone that couldn't be operated by one hand despite software tricks.
We all have our requirements, but why not use 2 hands?

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Why is it so important to convince everyone that they want a giant phone... even those that have already had a giant phone and didn't care for it?

This is the same issue I've had all my life with broccoli, people who like broccoli can't get over the fact that I can't stand it and they won't shut up about it... e.g. "If you just keep eating it I'm sure you'll come to like it"... of course these are typically the same people that won't eat Sushi with me, but I don't try and shove that down their throat at every opportunity.

Nobody that isn't interested in a giant phone is saying that there shouldn't be giant phones, just that there should be non-giant phone options available.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Nobody that isn't interested in a giant phone is saying that there shouldn't be giant phones, just that there should be non-giant phone options available.

What is puzzling is that we don't have more manufacturers trying to meet the needs of consumers who want a flagship phone in a smaller size.

Honestly, what choices do we have? We could recommend the Nexus 5, but it's not the latest device on the market. I guess we could also suggest the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, but that's not stock Android.

I actually like the idea of a bigger phone, but I realize that other people have different preferences. I just don't understand why manufacturers don't feel the same way.

Perhaps Project Ara is the answer, but we'll have to wait until 2015 for that.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I think that Wall Street Journal article put it in perspective pretty good.... BIG phones made up just 1% of the market just a few years ago and now it's 24%... Apple swore for years 3.5 was the perfect sized phone.. Then finally went to 4 inches and mocked everyone for having anything bigger than 4 inches and look what they just released??? (They also said the iPad was the perfect size and for a while claimed they'd never make an iPad mini)

You can't leave that market to Samsung to own.... Heck even Samsung was just gambling when they made the original Note.... Everyone just gasped in awe at the sheer size of this massive phone... People mocked it as way too big and NO ONE would use a device like that.. and then it sold.. Well... So they made it a little bigger and a little bigger again.... and it sold.... a lot......

From what we've seen in rumored pictures next to the LG G3 (Which man that phone feels so much smaller than 5.5 inches IMO) It's going to be smaller than the iPhone 6 plus and on par with the Note 3/4... all the top 2014 flagship phones are 5, 5.2 or 5.5 inches in size and that seems to be very acceptable to the masses..... 5.7 and 5.9 is for that small but growing market just slightly north....

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What is puzzling is that we don't have more manufacturers trying to meet the needs of consumers who want a flagship phone in a smaller size.

I think the tables are turning, companies decide what we want/need. Who asked for the first note device ? most of us would of laughed at the idea yet here we are seeing the note sell millions every year. Same thing with the first ipad which everyone called a big ipod touch and laughed at the idea. Jobs said it the best “people don't know what they want until you show it to them.”

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
You shouldn't be using your phone with 1 hand anyway while you drive, that's what window mounts are for.

Posted via AC App on Moto X

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Personally I don't think Google has given up on average sized (around 5") phones. They just decided that they are going to make a phablet this year since we've never had a phablet nexus device. Seems reasonable. Next year I would be upset if they didn't have a regular sized phone option.

Comparing the Nexus 6 to a Note 3 is a bit strange. I don't think anyone is claiming that the Nexus 6 will be too big for a phablet. People who are not interested in phones the size of a Note 3 are complaining.

Hopefully next year we can have a large nexus and a smaller nexus with similar specs so everyone can be happy :)

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Why is there so much grumbling? Its simple market demand - people want bigger phones, so all the phone oem's make them, even Apple.

If you don't want a big phone, there are other choices. But the definition of big has changed. The same thing happen in cars every year too.

Expecting a manufacturer to offer their flagship in a smaller size when it'd put them at a disadvantage compared to others is foolishness. If you want change, vote with your money and don't but the bigger phones. But the fact of the matter is for all the whining people do, most actually like bigger phones when they use them.