Will Nexus 6 have Moto Assist?

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Now that the Nexus 6 is confirmed to be made by Motorola, curious if it will work with the Motorola Assist software. Thoughts?

Posted via the Android Central App

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
re:

Now that the Nexus 6 is confirmed to be made by Motorola, curious if it will work with the Motorola Assist software. Thoughts?

I had seen reports that it will not... That Moto Assist is a Moto X exclusive.....

Hopefully the rumors/reports are wrong.... Not that I'd use it all that much but be neat to have....

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
re:

Not without some hackery, no. It will not come stock...nor should it.

It's a Nexus, guys.

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
re:

Not without some hackery, no. It will not come stock...nor should it.

It's a Nexus, guys.

True but it is also a Motorola which Motorola Assist works with there devices. So I would be interested to see how this would work.

thatguitarguy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
re:

I think some hackery could be done. I'm also curious to see if it's an AMOLED screen or not. Then we can see if we can get active notifications hacked on as well!

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
re:

Moto features need software as well as hardware on the phone. No other phone has them and I'd be very surprised if Nexus did.

RETUSAFNCO

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
re:

I had the Droid Maxx when I was with Verizon and I had moto assist which I frequently used, especially for music. I now have the S5 from Sprint but I really miss moto assist. I'm waiting for the Nexus 6 to come out, I'm going back to Motorola.

Joe Mags

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
re:

I'm still unclear weather or not the N6 will support the "always listening" feature of the X. The way my pro/con list has shaken out between the X and the Nexus this will be the deciding factor for me. I'm ready to order as soon as I'm sure about this.

Last edited:

ejordan

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
re:

I'm still unclear weather or not the N6 will support the "always listening" feature of the X. The way my pro/con list has shaken out between the X and the Nexus this will be the deciding factor for me. I'm ready to order as soon as I'm sure about this.

From the Google's Android - 5.0 Lollipop page (you have to scroll down and click "See all features"):

OK Google

Easy access to information and performing tasks

Even if your screen is off, you can say "OK Google" on devices with digital signal processing support such as Nexus 6 and Nexus 9
Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, get directions and more

Joe Mags

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
re:

ejordan, thanks! I totally missed that. So it's looking like the Nexus for me. I would still like to be able to customize the phrase like the X but that's not a deal breaker. Thanks again.

ejordan

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
re:

ejordan, thanks! I totally missed that. So it's looking like the Nexus for me. I would still like to be able to customize the phrase like the X but that's not a deal breaker. Thanks again.

It's no trouble! And as for custom phrases, I just came across this (it's for the N5 but should work with the N6) How to Make Google Now Obey Custom Voice Commands—Even Without Root

The article is three months old so hopefully all the info is still current but if not I wouldn't give up on looking around because it sounds like there's still some workarounds, even if they're not as simple as they should be haha. The Commandr app they mention seems worth looking into as well

Edit: Whoops nevermind, it looks like they're custom commands that you say after "Ok Google". Sorry, hopefully there's software updates in the future that let the phase be something else.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Re:

My boss loaded Lollipop onto his N5 yesterday and OK Google worked. Moto Assist is available via Google Play for all Moto phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

My boss loaded Lollipop onto his N5 yesterday and OK Google worked. Moto Assist is available via Google Play for all Moto phones.

Can you confirm that the Nexus 6 is included?

IIRC, Motorola Assist is only officially available for these devices:
  • Motorola DROID MINI
  • Motorola DROID ULTRA
  • Motorola DROID MAXX
  • Motorola Moto X (1st gen)
  • Motorola Moto G (1st gen)
  • Motorola Moto E
  • Motorola Moto X (2nd gen)
  • Motorola Moto G (2nd gen)
  • Motorola DROID TURBO

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Moto Assist wont work on nexus 6 because Assist depends on some Motorola Service to work which is not included on the nexus 6.

These services are only included on Motorola X,G E and Droid released in the past year or so... so Nope it wont work on older phones as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm