Google Nexus 6 Preorder Info & Reviews

Did you cancel your pre-order after reading the reviews?

• Total voters

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Time to take a break from Nexus 6

I'm going to take a break, its just a phone. If and when there's actual news, it'll show up, but I'm done looking for updates every day. If this was any other device and it was handled this poorly, I'd probably refuse to buy it.

I suspect there are a large, large number of people (along with myself) who frequent this forum that wish they had the commitment to follow suit ;)

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lets talk real shipping times

In my Play order history my Nexus 6 order went from "Leaves warehouse in 3-4 weeks" yesterday to "Leaves warehouse in 2-3 weeks" today. Sadly when you click on the detailed view it still says estimated date of 11/21 so the change might just be a function of the fact that we're exactly 3 weeks from 11/21 now.

I'm taking the change of 2-3 weeks as a good thing :).

I do feel bad that there's a only a few of us on here that that can hold this conversation. Google really dropped the ball this time.

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
re: Google Nexus 6 Preorder Info & Reviews

They should know better. These are the smartest people in the world.
Then why are you trying to out think them? Maybe they know exactly what they are doing. You really think they didn't anticipate demand exceeding supply? Seriously?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

Then why are you trying to out think them? Maybe they know exactly what they are doing. You really think they didn't anticipate demand exceeding supply? Seriously?

I'm trying to figure out why they did what they did. It's a discussion forum.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Just a theory about the pre-order

The only difference is the talk.. for $30 you only get 100 minutes of talk.. but 5 gig of data.... AND they don't advertise the plan on their website.. You actually have to go to a Walmart and pick up the starter kit to get on the $30 plan.... I found out about it when the Nexus 5 was coming out from people on these forums and used it to try T-Mobile.. Then found out over time I only average 60 - 80 minutes of actual talk a month... I burn through my 5 gig of LTE data... and once you go over and they throttle you back (Usually for a few days for me each month) they SERIOUSLY throttle you back.... I wouldn't even call it 3G.. Don't know what it is when you hit your LTE cap... But it's SLOW!!!!

and the $50 and up plans have the music freedom... so music streaming doesn't count towards your cap... You don't get that with the $30 plan......

You might circumvent that 100 minute limitation pretty easily now, too, by using Hangouts with a Google Voice number for calling, since it doesn't use your minutes - though it does use data (I don't know the speed at which it consumes it).

And yes, I remember back when I would be throttled on T-Mobile. It's not 3g, and it's not even 2G (EDGE) speeds... I'd frequently find myself unable to even load web pages at all. Speedtests would actually report download speeds in the sub-10Kbps range, which is what I remember getting back when running data over analog cellular lines 15 years ago...

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6 sells out in seconds... Not a single blog post from any reputable android site...

Didn't make enough and had to have supply for the carriers as well this time.

Google isn't manufacturing these; Motorola is. Each carrier bears the sole responsibility of forecasting their anticipated needs for a launch, and placing an order with Motorola for the devices.

If, for example, a carrier made an early determination that they needed an initial stock of 5,000 devices and then had 80,000 people sign up on their 'notify me' page, it is incumbent on no seller to help them with additional inventory until a subsequent order can be filed and filled. If something like this did happen, I could envision the possibility that Google would transfer a sizable portion of their requested inventory to assist with a carrier that drastically underestimated demand, taking the hit to Google's own PR, in an effort to preserve that carrier's customer satisfaction from being unnecessarily damaged, since it's a virtual certainty that carriers will sell more Nexus 6 than the Play store (even if the Play store had had good stock available) - especially since every carrier will likely offer either a subsidy or no-interest payment schedule in addition to having devices available at local stores.

Just a hypothesis... If it were to turn out to be true (not that we would ever actually find out), it still wouldn't excuse Google for the shoddy treatment of its customers who did want to buy from the Play store for any myriad of reasons (guaranteed bloat-free, unlocked, all-carrier compatibility), but at least it would be something that could be understood as a business decision.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Time to take a break from Nexus 6

I will try to take a break also. I don't think this is a big deal to Google because they keep doing it.

Posted via Android Central App

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Probably a few days before TMO gets theirs. I'm sure we all didn't go through that headache only to get ours late.

Google will have organized a universal earliest launch date, T-Mobile would have no need to delay launch beyond that point since they're not pre-installing bloatware or locking the device, and would not choose to delay it because it would put them at a potential disadvantage to others should they provide them earlier. Their launch on the 12th would indicate that to be the earliest.

The best one reasonably hope for is that they'll be shipped well enough in advance that they'll have "Do Not Deliver Before November 12" instructions to the courier (and then that the courier ignores/doesn't notice it).

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

In other news Apples CEO Tim Cook came out and said he was gay. Then in a surprising twist Samsung CEO also came out and said he was even gayer and water resistant.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I'm trying to figure out why they did what they did. It's a discussion forum.

Better for Google to undercut their own supply and have bad PR due to horrible shortage in order to prevent a carrier from experiencing the same, even if it's the carrier's fault for not properly anticipating demand. Google can survive the PR hit better (and, let's be honest, we sort of expect them to [language] up launches), and the carriers will sell far more of these in any event - even if both had ample stock - so needs to maintain better relations with its customers where products are concerned.

Alternatively, perhaps a carrier reached a last-minute agreement with Google wherein the carrier would put some substantial advertising into the Nexus 6 in exchange for a chunk of Google's initial inventory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

You might circumvent that 100 minute limitation pretty easily now, too, by using Hangouts with a Google Voice number for calling, since it doesn't use your minutes - though it does use data (I don't know the speed at which it consumes it).

And yes, I remember back when I would be throttled on T-Mobile. It's not 3g, and it's not even 2G (EDGE) speeds... I'd frequently find myself unable to even load web pages at all. Speedtests would actually report download speeds in the sub-10Kbps range, which is what I remember getting back when running data over analog cellular lines 15 years ago...

I've used Hangouts to make a few calls... It's okay... Not great but okay....

I at least get WiFi at home and work so cellular data isn't completely needed.... I still tend to consume about 5 GB a month in data... The first month I ran out after about 2 1/2 weeks and the throttled speed was horrible.... since then I've managed it a little better when not on WiFi but still end up using up the whole 5 GB every month but usually go over with only a day or two left before it boost back up.... for $30 a month it's really hard to complain... Still better than when I was on Sprint and most of the time even in high traffic areas of Dallas or Fort Worth where I just had to wait until I could find WiFi to even use my phone at all.... Barely averaged 1 GB of data with them....

With all the new radios and bands supported with the Nexus 6 it will be interesting to see if that data use goes up any.... Looks like in theory it should get better reception than the Nexus 5..... I have a few slow data spots and it will be interesting to see if they improve considerably with the newer technology....

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

Better for Google to undercut their own supply and have bad PR due to horrible shortage in order to prevent a carrier from experiencing the same, even if it's the carrier's fault for not properly anticipating demand. Google can survive the PR hit better (and, let's be honest, we sort of expect them to [language] up launches), and the carriers will sell far more of these in any event - even if both had ample stock - so needs to maintain better relations with its customers where products are concerned.

Alternatively, perhaps a carrier reached a last-minute agreement with Google wherein the carrier would put some substantial advertising into the Nexus 6 in exchange for a chunk of Google's initial inventory.

i would think these carrier orders for launch are done way in advance - ex. "Nexus 6? we'll take 250K units for launch." i find it hard to believe they're reallocating supply at the last minute. too many logistics involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Better for Google to undercut their own supply and have bad PR due to horrible shortage in order to prevent a carrier from experiencing the same, even if it's the carrier's fault for not properly anticipating demand. Google can survive the PR hit better (and, let's be honest, we sort of expect them to **** up launches), and the carriers will sell far more of these in any event - even if both had ample stock - so needs to maintain better relations with its customers where products are concerned.

You'd just THINK with Google being as big and powerful as they are they'd of had this planned out a little bit better... It's not exactly their first product or phone launch... They've done this before... They obviously choose a direction that was more carrier driven.... The choice to build a more premium/expensive device and launch on carriers was made well ahead of the decision to say "October 29"

I'd still rather they just had the Nexus 6 information page and then directed everyone to a retail partner for preorders.... Hey if you want it these guys listed below and linked will take care of you..... Google could still very easily (Like Apple does) advertise and market the device and then just have at the end of any commercial or website link the carriers to buy......

Still just mind boggling a company as large, powerful and RICH as Google could flub it....

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

The thing that T Mobile has going for it in my opinion, is the fact that early next year they will have wifi calling. That will help greatly with those 100min if you are in a wifi hotspot a lot, for example home or work.

win465

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Probably a few days before TMO gets theirs. I'm sure we all didn't go through that headache only to get ours late.
Hopefully we get ours first. Whats the whole point of a pre order then if we are going to get it after T-Mobile. I love Google but what they did with the pre orders was just very awful and mean to hardcore fans. They could have just said that they weren't going to sell it on Google Play store and just go buy it from a carrier.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

i would think these carrier orders for launch are done way in advance - ex. "Nexus 6? we'll take 250K units for launch." i find it hard to believe they're reallocating supply at the last minute. too many logistics involved.

They do. The upper echelons of the carriers have each had a number of test models likely for months for preliminary testing purposes, and would have made their orders. But if the device is just a box with no customization differences between a carrier's version and the one sold in the Play store (as is likely the case with at least T-Mobile), there aren't many logistics involved other than penning a deal and shipping the devices from one to the other. Again, just a hypothesis, but if a carrier determines its original forecast was woefully short and they may lose a lot of opportunity, I can see them approaching Google about such a deal.

You'd just THINK with Google being as big and powerful as they are they'd of had this planned out a little bit better... It's not exactly their first product or phone launch... They've done this before... They obviously choose a direction that was more carrier driven.... The choice to build a more premium/expensive device and launch on carriers was made well ahead of the decision to say "October 29"

I'd still rather they just had the Nexus 6 information page and then directed everyone to a retail partner for preorders.... Hey if you want it these guys listed below and linked will take care of you..... Google could still very easily (Like Apple does) advertise and market the device and then just have at the end of any commercial or website link the carriers to buy......

Still just mind boggling a company as large, powerful and RICH as Google could flub it....

What I meant to suggest was that blame for this result is clearly assignable to Google, but that it's not necessarily the case that they had arrived at the current condition solely on the basis of their initial order. If this was not just a techical e-ordering issue (which I doubt, as it would likely have been resolved or at least commented on by now), then it would require an order of magnitude of incompetence for Google to screw up this badly (even given their past track record) without their making some sort of late adjustment to their initial gameplan.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

They do. The upper echelons of the carriers have each had a number of test models likely for months for preliminary testing purposes, and would have made their orders. But if the device is just a box with no customization differences between a carrier's version and the one sold in the Play store (as is likely the case with at least T-Mobile), there aren't many logistics involved other than penning a deal and shipping the devices from one to the other. Again, just a hypothesis, but if a carrier determines its original forecast was woefully short and they may lose a lot of opportunity, I can see them approaching Google about such a deal.

i think there are carrier specific SIMs and/or carrier branded materials customized for/in the box - this would take some significant last minute logistics - see at 1:25 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OdDDXUg-mA

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

i think there are carrier specific SIMs and/or carrier branded materials customized for/in the box - this would take some significant last minute logistics

In that box, it was just the terms & conditions and a sim. If that's the only difference, there's really very little to it - I've been there, done that for a carrier before. It would actually be very simple, as they could simply arranged to fulfill store inventory needs first from their initial supply, and only us any additional incoming inventory that might need that packet added to it to supplement web/phone orders, meaning any additional process (in this case, very little) is only done by one group in one location.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Logistically it wouldn't be a problem... Right now there is a warehouse somewhere with X number of units sitting around waiting to ship to play store orders... cases of phones... and then T-Mobile calls up and says "Hey we need an extra 200,000 phones" they just drop that order to the same warehouse that will ship the individual phones and they just ship cases of phones instead of individual phones... Actually should be logistically easier for that warehouse.... fewer larger boxes all going to one location vs thousands of individually boxed orders going to single customers..

I work in wholesale distribution... I'm much happier to sell one customer a full skid of product vs selling individual widgets one by one from that same skid.... Make all my money in one big swoop and only have to deal with one or two packages....

Meaning for Google and whoever is shipping phones for them would much rather pass the retail sales on to the carrier than deal with it on their own.. Yeah they probably make a little less per device but less hassle involved...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX