Google Nexus 6 Notification LED

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
From the reviews I read I didn't see mention of an LED notification light. It's been 'replaced' by the ambient display, but I really don't see how they are similar in anyway. An LED blinks constantly until you check the message and ambient display will just show an incoming message on the lock screen and then go away. Am I right about this?

Posted via the Android Central App

You're partly right. I have the 2013 Moto X. Active notifications "pulse" (that is, they fade in to the screen to show you what apps are begging for your attention, then they fade out, then a few seconds later fade back in, then out again). It will keep pulsing until you answer the notifications, though I believe if you ignore a notification for a long period of time the pulsing gets less frequent. If you wave your hand over the screen or move the phone at all or even just touch it, the notification pulses immediately, and if there are no notifications the lock icon pulses so you can turn the phone on without the power button.

The nice thing about AMOLED is that the pulsing takes up very little power.

My understanding with the Nexus 6 is that it will show the standard notifications pulldown when locked, but a black-and-white faded version to save power, and it will pulse similar to the Moto X.

I thought I'd miss the LED when I got my Moto X. Really, I don't. I do miss the larger screen (previous phone was an Optimus G Pro), so the Nexus 6 feels like getting the best of all possible worlds. We'll see how it works out in real life.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying natehoy!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Actually, I wanted to clarify - I found a ComputerWorld review on the Nexus 6 and Active Notifications don't work quite the same as the Moto X ones do...

"While the concept is similar to Moto Display, however, it works a bit differently: For one, anytime there's a pending notification, the Moto X "pulses" and flashes a small circle on the screen every few seconds so you'll see it. The Nexus 6 lights up when a notification first arrives but doesn't continue to flash the information frequently thereafter, which makes it harder to know at a glance -- without touching the phone -- when something needs your attention."

Eric The Duke

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Light behind the speaker? Oh no that reminds me of the notification light on the HTC Thunderbolt! It was good for nothing because you could barely see it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781