Nexus 6 not 64 bit?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I thought the big thing was android L will be 64 bit. And the nexus has a snapdragon 805 which is only a 32 bit SoC to my knowledge?

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sort of glad the nexus 6 was not 64 bit since I just got my note 4, you guys would have been bragging about it like crazy. Next year the note 5 will be 64 bit with 4 gb ram and I will definitely purchase it. Maybe Samsung and Google had a agreement if Samsung provided amoled screens for the nexus 6, no 64 bit processor lol.

Tony DeLuce

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Qualcomm 64 bit 810 not available until summer 2015 but the Note 4 international version is already 64 bit (uses Samsung's own processor). Personally I believe even the 805 is more than enough processing power and will be more than enough for the next several years of Android updates...

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Note 4 international will not be able to access the 64 bit functions as stated, it may have access by the time note 5 comes out knowing how slow Samsung is with updates

Tony DeLuce

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Personally I doubt there will be much of a difference in user experience even then.. Android will have to run well on numerous 32 bit processors for at least the next several years...

kingmac38

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
The biggest pluses will be lower clock speed for cpu and still able to do the same processing . This in turn generates less heat and less power consumption. Allowing for much better battery life and overall phone size because not as much room needed for thermal cooling .. there are many pluses like accessing more than 4gb of ram etc

Tony DeLuce

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I currently get through the whole day without performance issues on my two year old Note 2. There will certainly be improvements - the question really becomes real world experience (I simply charge my cell phone each night and have no problems with responsiveness ) but then again I am not a heavy gamer on my cell phone :)

Tony DeLuce

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Of course a few years from now all cell phone processors will be 64 bit and we will all enjoy the additional power and capability but for right now 64 bit is more of a marketing buzzword with little practical value...

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have to ask, as someone that's not overly tech savvy, what's the benefit of 64-bit over 32-bit?

Basically 64bit allows much more processing power over a 32bit chip. More complex apps can run on them faster than would be possible on 32bit chips.

Right now it's not imperative that there are 64bit chips as nothing has been written for them. However it's good that Google has written Android L to function on 64 bit chips as it will usher in a new wave of apps being developed for it.

The downside is that we'll potentially see applications that will only work on 64bit/Android L devices and won't work on 32bit, but that will probably be off in the distant future, when the majority of phones have moved to 64 bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888